Slope - counselling needed, possibly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
It's that time of year when I have to bring edge tools in from the workshop because of damp. I can still work out there, but I mustn't leave things out there.

So I managed to get most of the planes snuggled up in the bottom of a tool chest. The powered thing doesn't count of course, but I did a bit of an inventory at the same time, which got me a bit worried. Am I heading for a clinical problem yet? Advice welcome, but even if I am too far gone the picture would be good for an on-line version of Kims game, I think.

planes1300.JPG

From bottom right:

o A cabinet scraper, wrapped up in an old Bristol Design catalogue page,
o A war-finish #4 that belonged to my grandfather-in-law - it's fettled and lovely,
o A Veritas mini- router plane that's wonderful for things nothing else will easily do,
o A Record #2506 side rebate plane that's handy for easing dados etc., as I can otherwise be quite clumsy,
o A Record #80 that is OK but I still haven't really mastered,
o A modern Sweetheart low-angle block (in the pouch): rubbish casting & finsh but good steel - quite like it after fettling it a bit,
o A 1970s Stanley #5 which was my first plane. Now with rosewood handles (not plastic!) and well-fettled,
o A Stanley #7, circa 1924, with a later lever cap (should be a keyhole, not a kidney, but they're hen's teeth). Works superbly.
o A Record #51/2 which Jimi of this parish was daft to sell me - easily my favourite bench plane.
o A Sweetheart #92 and an older #90. The #90 has been hammered doing DIY but still hasn't given up and cuts as well as new, 35 years ago. The Sweetheart isn't wonderful, but does hold a good edge.
o A Stanley #41/2 that belonged to my Dad. Only eclipsed by the #51/2.
o A Record #20 compass plane (bendy sole). Takes a good edge but have yet to use it in anger.
Not shown is a Boggs-pattern Quangsheng spokeshave that has it's own box, and a couple of Japanese laminated irons, which are superb. The powerd thing is a truly horrible Freud whatsit I was duped into buying and have been fettling to make usable.

So do I need therapy, or a bigger tool chest?

E.

Attachments

• planes1300.JPG
    planes1300.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 1,240
Neither. You just need some more planes!

No plough?
No moving fillister?
No moulding planes?
No wooden planes at all?

[-X

No sympathy from me!

:lol:

No sympathy from me either as I have more than that and they have to stay in the shop, but out there it is heated :D

You need more block planes. And a jointer, preferably a #8, but a #7 will do in a pinch. Nah, get both. And you don't have any moulding planes- what are you thinking? You should at least have a set of hollows and rounds. And a multiplane, just because of how cool they look.

You need to double up on some so you have examples of different frogs and blade shapes from different eras. Also of different manufacturers.

What slope ? Eric seems normal compared to most on here (myself included).

One block plane and he thinks he has a problem.

Good Sir Viking , as I don't have a problem , then you cannot. What you have is a good start. I have an entertainment center that is repurposed for my bench planes , five shelves at 3 ft. by 2 . At that I ran out of room and have a good few sprinkled about around the shop area (my 7 and 8 wont fit in there either). So you do not have a p-pp-problem , no you do n-n-n-ot -not not problem.
Pardon me , i must go downstairs now ,yes I must.

lanemaux":3a0zqf8e said:
Good Sir Viking , as I don't have a problem , then you cannot. What you have is a good start. I have an entertainment center that is repurposed for my bench planes
You play music to them? :shock:

Um , no Jim , not directly to them. However they make listening to the CD player a lot easier than if I used a powered alternative , so I guess they play their part in bringing music to the shop. No room in the "plane center " for the CD player so it sits in the utility closet til needed and then perched on the dryer in use.

JimB":y4veyx1s said:
lanemaux":y4veyx1s said:
Good Sir Viking , as I don't have a problem , then you cannot. What you have is a good start. I have an entertainment center that is repurposed for my bench planes
First Cut is the Deepest? Mahogany? Ebony and Ivory? The Holly and the Ivy? Echo Beech? :lol:

phil.p":1x7z3f8d said:
JimB":1x7z3f8d said:
lanemaux":1x7z3f8d said:
First Cut is the Deepest? Mahogany? Ebony and Ivory? The Holly and the Ivy? Echo Beech? :lol:
The Beech Boys, the Stones and of course Deep Purpleheart and Heart of Oak. :D

Back