Skip scavenged ebony

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berncarpenter

Established Member
Reaction score
On my way home tonight i passed the rather grand house thats being demolished to make way for new housing .I had asked the builder that now owns the site if i could buy the yellow Cattybrook facing bricks of him and he said to ''Just call in on the site and get what you want as its going to be skipped '' .So looking through the skip i came across these.

DSC_0361_zps94457ac6.jpg

Old piano keys about thirty of them.

DSC_0362_zpsca1910f0.jpg

Back in the workshop i cut the black top off the softwood part and sliced it with a sharp chisel to see if it was ebony or some type of bakelite ,Bingo now what can i make out of these little pieces ? 90mm long and roughly 10mm x 10mm square

DSC_0363_zps66bd6411.jpg

Cheers Bern.

It's no good mate. Unfortunately, that's Sri Lankan ebony and highly poisonous. I've got a mate who can destroy it legally, so parcel them up and send them to me. I'll even help you out and pay the postage ;)

I have a similar stash that I have had for some time, along with some nice mahogany panels!

One potential use is to make drawer pulls / knobs for jewellery and other boxes. I did some experiments and found that it turned nicely but was surprisingly brown without the piano maker's stain and polish.

Noggsy":3nnbd71v said:
It's no good mate. Unfortunately, that's Sri Lankan ebony and highly poisonous. I've got a mate who can destroy it legally, so parcel them up and send them to me. I'll even help you out and pay the postage ;)

Thats what i like about this forum :) every one is always willing to help out if they can :wink:

Noggsy":e6303jaa said:

Hmm Nice try Noggsy :roll:

Cheers Bern. :)

AndyT":3bc5eo1p said:
I have a similar stash that I have had for some time, along with some nice mahogany panels!

One potential use is to make drawer pulls / knobs for jewellery and other boxes. I did some experiments and found that it turned nicely but was surprisingly brown without the piano maker's stain and polish.

Blackwood is blacker then ebony!

BugBear

Assuming you've got a bandsaw (or a mate with one), slice it down the length, get some pale coloured hardwood - Sycamore, Maple etc. and make a nice inlaid Backgammon board?

Noggsy":35tk7ijf said:

LMAO - love it :)

If you work it out, let us know. I also have a set of keys, in my case of nicely striped macassar ebony which I stripped off a piano which had been abandoned in a studio car park in Crouch End. After a few days in the rain the keyboard was coming apart, so I took all the loose black keys, fully expecting them to be dyed male of beech.

I did use one to turn a lace bobbin for my mum, a 2 tone jobbie with an ebony body and bone stem.

Back