Size of motor required ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazz1340

Reaction score
Advice needed please......Can anyone tell me what is the original size and rpm of the motor on a Dominion Elliot Minor combination woodworker....Desperation and Frustration beginning to set-in...Thanks in advance for any info

If you know what size blade or width of planer block you have then just work backwards. A saw blade has a specific speed to achieve its optomin cut. My 18" saw runs at 2800rpm and is 5hp.

Never used one of those or seen one in the flesh, BUT from the pictures I've seen, the motor is a pretty standard foot mounted job, which gives plenty of choice. Given the capacity of the machine, 750w would probably be the absolute lower limit, but still useable. The upper limit for reliable use on standard domestic circuit would probably be around 1.5kW (though I get away with 2.2kW using old, heavy motors which appear to be less greedy on startup). RPM you can work out from the saw diameter, necessary peripheral speed and the size of pulley on the saw spindle. Of course, depending on the space available (generous, again from memory) you could choose a motor pulley of appropriate size to accommodate the RPM of whatever motor you fit.

Hope this helps.

Most motors used for WW machines are 2800 rpm (50Hz). Usually 1Hp is allotted for every 4 inches of blade diameter
and also for every 4 inches of planer blade length.
For crosscutting you could get away with a bit less.

Latest posts

Back