• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Simon Fairlie Austrian Scythe & Sickle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
5ft adjustable solid ash snath with 60cm grass and weed blade together sickle, sharpening stone and comprehensive instruction booklet. Only used for one project and dry stored since. The blades could benefit from a wire brushing and re-sharpen/peening which is thoroughly covered in the booklet. Asking £60 + p&p

20211002_175802.jpg

20211002_175816.jpg

Hi

Is this still available? If so, any idea what kind of price postage would be for something that size? I'm in South Wales.

Cheers

Hi, these snaths are usually marked with a size, e.g. 2, 3 or 4. Is there a size marked on this one?

Yes it is and Hermes postage is £8.03 to South Wales
Hi Mike,
if Krome10 decides not to have it, I’d definitely go for it. If postage is possible that‘s fine. Or, I live near Oxford so, if you live in Daventry, I could maybe arrange to meet you in say Banbury to collect and pay?
But obviously first refusal must go to Krome10.

Thanks @mikej460 and @MiTown

I was in the middle of responding (before your response) when my PC conked out on me and wouldn't reboot. Arrrrggghhhhh!!

Anyhow, all I was saying is that I'm definitely interested so yes please, do let me know how you get on with finding a courier. If you have no joy, let have a rough idea of what the overall parcel dimensions would be and I'll see if I can find anything from my end.

Would also be handy to know that size it is, as per MiTown's question. And also whether the tip of the blade is designed like that or is slightly damaged?

Cheers

I was in the middle of responding (before your response) when my PC conked out on me and wouldn't reboot. Arrrrggghhhhh!!

Anyhow, all I was saying is that I'm definitely interested so yes please, do let me know how you get on with finding a courier. If you have no joy, let have a rough idea of what the overall parcel dimensions would be and I'll see if I can find anything from my end.

Would also be handy to know that size it is, as per MiTown's question. And also whether the tip of the blade is designed like that or is slightly damaged?

Cheers
Hi Krome10, at 5 feet I suspect it maybe a number 2. I have a Number 3, which is slightly longer than that. I was looking to get a snath and blade for my wife who’s keen to do some mowing with our volunteer group. The blade looks like a 60cm ditch blade which like my own 65cm blade has that pointed end, so looks ok to me.

Cheers
I'm afraid I can't find any postage less than £28. I've found my original receipt and I actually paid £22 postage! Can you find it cheaper?

Thanks for that and sorry for the delay in responding. I'm thinking to hold fire and get the next size up... So thanks all the same, but it's over to @MiTown :)

Cheers
Thanks Krome10. Mike, I’ll have a look to see if I can find a lower price for postage based on length of 175cm. Couriers I’ve looked at so far though are asking for width and height too which of course depends on how you wrap it. They also ask for the weight which I can probably estimate used my own snath, blade, stones etc., but any further info you can provide on dimensions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

I'm afraid I can't find any postage less than £28. I've found my original receipt and I actually paid £22 postage! Can you find it cheaper?
Just another thought, we were thinking of paying a visit to Canons Ashby. Is that anywhere near you?

In Yorkshire, the handle was nicely curved - and much thicker than the picture. Other than looks, I really can't see why though.
Yes I can. I remember the curve closest to the hands took the scythe further round the body, giving a greater arc, hence longer cut.

Back