Should I buy an Ax CT1503 Planer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a CT1503 Planer.

Currently I have a small bench top SIP planer but it's is a pain to get and keep true and it really isn't big enough. I like to buy sawn timber and think a bigger planer to compliment my DW733 is a worthwhile purchase. However, I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thoughts, advice and experiences welcome?

Jon

I haven't used one but they look to be quite solid and comments from users on here over the years have suggested that they are reliable as well. Some will see the 6in/152mm width capacity as a limitation; others may not - it depends on the work you do or, whether you can adjust your methods to compensate for this... :) There's a good 5ft in overall table length and both tables and fence are cast iron. With an induction motor as well, you should find it far more pleasant to work with than your current model! ;-) There was a guy in Devon trying to sell one of the older (blue) models in the For Sale forum, not that long ago... It may still be available although, it came with the old "porkchop"-style guard. You may also find one of these machines available on eBay, from time to time.

I have a CT150, the predecessor to the CT1502. I'm not sure what upgrades they've made over the one I have though, but I find it to be very good. I only give it hobby use though, but I've had it for nearly 5 years and never had a hint of a mechanical problem and it performs really well. The 3-blade head over the 2-blades in the smaller planers is nice too...or at least I have perceived it to be!

If I had criticism, I would say that the stops on the fence (for 90 and 45 deg etc) are a little crude, and the depth of cut marker on the in-feed table is just a joke. However, both are easily overcome and liveable with for the price. It is a big lump of cast iron! But perhaps these issues have been addressed with the CT1502???

I am in the same boat but have a Rexon bench top planer and was also looking at the Axi CT1502. My rexon is OK for small stuff but the tables are very small and it is as loud as hell!

Does the Axi have an induction motor, I can't see it mentioned anywhere? It's a little more than I would like to spend but looks solid. For that money I would expect an induction motor.

Steve.

The CT150 has an induction motor and is belt driven. I would be very surprised if they had removed it from the CD1502! It runs very quietly if it is on a stable base. Planing is no louder than using a cordless drill.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'll add another drawback; there is no belt-tensioner on it. You adjust the tension in the belt by moving the whole motor about (it slides in slots with bolts). It's fiddly and annoying, but fortunately you don't have to do it very much. Still not a deal breaker IMO, but something to be wary of perhaps?

Back