Shed Roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishpat86

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to be building my gym shed soon but don't have a design for the roof yet. My plan is to do a monopitch roof and I was thinking of just putting some 2x4's spaced at 450mm across the length of the roof then cover with OSB and felt but I'm not sure if the 2x4's will be enough. The span is 3m so will 2x4's be strong enough and should I make some minitaure trusses? The roof is only going to be a very shallow pitch.

Attachments

• Shed Roof Section.PNG
    Shed Roof Section.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,706
StevieB":wsn2ih5f said:
2x4's will sag over 3m. I had the same query over a carport and was advised to go for 2x6 or even 2x8 over 3m

Steve

2x6 it is then. What about centres, will 600mm be ok?

The Building Regs give all sorts of helpful guidance for foundations, spans etc which - bearing in mind you're talking about a shed - could be a starting point. Ceiling joist spans are on page 46 (1991 version but don't think it's materially changed.

In the good old days before regulations, the rule of thumb was the width to span in feet = thickness in inches + 1. I.e. A 6 foot span required a 4" thick beam.

I would have thought 6" joists at 400mm centres would be fine and plenty of support for osb. Some celetex on the roof would be good, or you may have a sauna in the summer

The old way was unsupported span in feet divided by 2 plus 1 = depth of joist in inches.

The span is 10 feet divided by 2 = 5 plus 1 = 6.

It is always a better job spaced at 400 c\c (or 16" c\c if using imperial boards). It does not cost much more for a few more joists but will not sag and if 1/2" plaster boarding the ceiling you don't need to nog at every 1200.

Merlin

Back