Sharpening stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the "odd" stones. The reddy grey one is somewhat soft so maybe it's a waterstone but the green one is like granite.
Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

3635017049_8ae56f1106_o.jpg

digitalbot":2pu3a9g7 said:
Here are the "odd" stones. The reddy grey one is somewhat soft so maybe it's a waterstone but the green one is like granite.
Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

3635017049_8ae56f1106_o.jpg

Green one - definitely Charnley Forest - classic "finishing" oil stone, widely referenced in pre 1950's books. I wouldn't say it's "hard as granite" - it's quite easy to stick the corner of a small chisel into it :-(

Gray one (I'm not seeing any "red" on my display). Looks like one-of-the-many slate stones. The grit size of these varies all over the place (depending on which quarry), but they're all very soft. I find them quite good for kitchen knives.

BugBear

I wouldn't say it's "hard as granite" - it's quite easy to stick the corner of a small chisel into it
Well it's definitely the hardest stone i've come across.
And thanks for letting me know that it's oil you use for cutting. I was trying water! :oops:

Pete Hughes":3b0p4zue said:
Can anyone advise on this, it is approximately 6ins x 3ins x 1/2 ins and reddish in colour and I am understanding that to use it it needs to be soaked in water?

Pete
Pete: Based on the color, it may be about a 1200 to 1500 grit (JIS) stone. A picture would help. There are two good articles on how to prepare and maintain water stones posted on the Japan Woodworker site. The one is about synthetic stones (which are soaked) and the other is about natural stones (which are not soaked). This is good reference material. I hope it helps you.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/newswire.asp?content_id=11508

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/newswire.asp?content_id=11513

I'm glad this subject has come up as I have been thinking about a stone I got at a bootfair a while back....

DSC_0600.JPG

It's a kind of sandy grey and quite easily lapped with wet and dry...

DSC_0601.JPG

It's rather nice to use and hones very finely....

It is in a nice old wooden base 8" long by 2 1/2" wide at the widest end.

It takes water easily and makes a fine slurry

Any ideas chaps?

Jim

jimi43":3rg8sito said:
I'm glad this subject has come up as I have been thinking about a stone I got at a bootfair a while back....

It's a kind of sandy grey and quite easily lapped with wet and dry...

It's rather nice to use and hones very finely....

It is in a nice old wooden base 8" long by 2 1/2" wide at the widest end.

It takes water easily and makes a fine slurry

Any ideas chaps?

Jim

Well the OP was years ago, but whatever,

I have a very similar stone, which I also don't know the identity of. However my stone is much smaller - around 6x1 1/4", and is mounted in/on a rather fancy mahogany stand.

This has always made me suspect it was used for razors, which would also fit nicely with your description of the properties.

So - you've (probably) got a large example of a stone deemed good enough for use on razors. Nice find.

For elimination, it's not turkey stone - I've got a labelled-in-a-box one of those, and it's quite different.

It may be one of the Belgian coticules.

BugBear

Watcha BB!

Crikey...I didn't spot the date of the original post! (homer)

It was rather late when I read the post...ancient dog I have could not sleep again...so I was up trolling the forums!

Yes...agree...it looks like a razor honing stone...I started to look at the various examples after posting these pictures and was led into a veritible world of potential Sweeneys...

The thing to note is that they refer to woodworkers as showing interest in "their" stones now (pushing up the eBay prices!)...particularly the Charnleys and other ancient exotic sedimentaries.

Looking at the Belgian Coticules...it looks more bland that the colours they come in but it is not far off. Perhaps, as in the Charnley variations...they come in different grades...grits and parts of the quarry!

Interesting new subject for me though....

Cheers

Jim

jimi43":2px9ifz3 said:
The thing to note is that they refer to woodworkers as showing interest in "their" stones now (pushing up the eBay prices!)...particularly the Charnleys and other ancient exotic sedimentaries.

It may be time to take "some" of my Charnley's, cut them in razor-suitable sizes, and flog 'em on eBay then...

I mean, Charnleys pop up all the time at car boots and auctions. I've seen several that are old enough that the only flat(*) surface is the top.

The ends, sides, and bottom are all "as quarried"

BugBear

(*) actually, dished to hell, usually.

I now have another target search for this season's bootfairs! I can hardly wait. I must say, stones in general were not on my scan horizon last year as I knew so little about them...

You live and learn!

Thanks for the info...a bit of a money-spinner methinks!

This woody thing is a never-ending source of amazement to me...you think you are starting to get "all" the knowledge and along comes another slope!

These natural stones look to be a rather expensive one too if you get hooked!

I love the quote in one thread I read about the quarryman at Charnley....Apparently you could go and pick your own stones IF you were able to answer some questions on woodworking put to you by the man! It reminds me of a Monty Python film!! One can imagine getting the last question wrong and disappearing into the depths of the quarry in a cloud of smoke!! :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":zrwq225k said:
I now have another target search for this season's bootfairs! I can hardly wait. I must say, stones in general were not on my scan horizon last year as I knew so little about them...

You live and learn!

Thanks for the info...a bit of a money-spinner methinks!

Not worth getting up early for, IMHO, but each to their own.

You might be interested in this:

http://www.taths.org.uk/publications.htm

TATHS":zrwq225k said:
Natural 19th and Early 20th Century
Sharpening Stones and Hones

Brian Read and Doug Morgan

Price £10.00 inc. UK p & p

BugBear

jimi43":2tk6dbro said:
Watcha BB!

It was rather late when I read the post...ancient dog I have could not sleep again...so I was up trolling the forums!

Jacobs not going to be happy when he realises you've been stealing his workload!!!!! :mrgreen:

PS: I mean no offence to the likes of Jacob; its a hard job and someone's got to do it

HA! Nice one LuptonM.....now what do you mean! :wink:

BB....now you've got me interested in the books on the subject...thanks for pushing me down the slope! I shall blame you for this forever!! :mrgreen: :wink:

Got any pics of your Charnleys? (you can't say that too often to a lady for instance!) :mrgreen:

I took some more pics of mine today after relapping it (which took a few seconds) and wetting it and in natural daylight:

DSC_0602.JPG

You can see the grain pattern in the stone now...

It is very flat but there ain't much protruding....

DSC_0603.JPG

...so I will have to be a bit careful how many times I lap it!

Any more ideas?

Jim

UPDATE: There is a Belgian Coticule razor honing stone for sale HERE...

It is the colour of mine so I guess you are right BB! Well spotted!

Hi all,

I have just found this site.

I have just taken up straight razor shaving and would like to get hold of a Charley Forrest Hone.

I am not looking for anything fancy or collectable, just a good working hone. I hear they give a good sharp edge and a good shave.

Any advice gratefully received,

Thank.

LuptonM":1gfpxgco said:
jimi43":1gfpxgco said:
Watcha BB!

Jacobs not going to be happy when he realises you've been stealing his workload!!!!! :mrgreen:

PS: I mean no offence to the likes of Jacob; its a hard job and someone's got to do it
Wos he on about then?

lurker":k82ceug5 said:
I have a little historical research project under way ref Charnley forest stones. ( eg I have exclusive access to the original quarry :lol: )
Will reveal more at a later date

If anyone has info regards these stones I'd be glad to hear from them.

Did the project come to fruition :?:

The TATHS booklet on sharpening stones is very detailed :wink:

Andy

Back