Shaker drawer front help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start building the units below, the doors will all be 22 mm MR mdf with 6 mm panel set in 8 mm deep groove then I will put a 6 x 40 domino in each joint offset away from the panel. That's fine for most of it but the top drawer fronts have 33 mm rails. I just want to get a few opinions should I just reduce the dominoes in the top to 4 mm ones so they are only 16 mm wide slots. If anyone has built such a thing in the past with narrow rails what did you do. I dont really want to use tongues or tenons as I didnt want to see them on the top edge.

Below is the design and the existing stuff I'm matching but mine will be in paint hence the MDF.

8602269751_684021ef78_z.jpg
8517591651_cbe3a239c4_z.jpg

This is how I do mine and it works for me but you decide.

Groove the panels in as you say but in a groove a bit deeper I like 15mm then make a stub tenon on the rails, just rebates really, when its painted you won't see the joint, anyway if you do it will only look like it should ie a haunch.

By the way if you do the drawers the same way make sure that the recessed panels on the back does not cause a problem fixing the drawer boxes, I like to make the fronts flush on the inside makes life a lot simplier in the long run, just use thicker panels and rebate the backs ie 12 or 15mm mdf.

Chrispy , yeah I had thought about flushing the backs, the panel is set in 10mm so a 12mm panel would be flush. I think I will just use packing where needed though. I'm using dovetailed boxes plenty of space for fixing the fronts.

I usually use loose or stub tenons on doors etc but now I have a domino thought if put it to use. Thought it would be better and help align things better.

Peter, I've only recently got the 500 let alone swapping it for a 700:lol:

Yeah but I was just wondering how near to an edge or the groove for the panel you can safely go without making a poor/weak joint.

Ie my rail is 33 and panel groove 8 deep so you're left with 25 of free space from groove to edge. If I use a 4mm dom I think they're a 16mm wide slot so it leaves 4.5 mm either side. Sounds ok and I will be gluing the panels in too as its all mdf.

chippy1970":3jpzba8g said:
Yeah but I was just wondering how near to an edge or the groove for the panel you can safely go without making a poor/weak joint.

Sounds fine to me. Just keep an eye on your settings to make sure they (especially the fence) don't wander off somewhere you don't want them to go. Use decent MDF as well - you don't want to use cheap and cheerful stuff that can make chipboard from the 60s look high quality. :lol:

Hi, chippy

If its going to be painted, use 18mm MR MDF and glue on 4mm MR MDF false rails.

Pete

Back