Shaker cabinet and chess board.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarkin

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished a couple of projects, both presents for people.

The first is a chess board (SWMBO brothers wedding present). It's solid wood all the way through, didn't fancy marquetry after my last attempt which was dissapointing to say the least :oops: . The bottom is finished with a peice of black walnut veneer though. Whole thing is finished with a dozen or so coats of white polish. The dark wood is imbuya, however i'm not sure what the yellow wood is, but it is exceedingly yellow, the sawdust was almost luminous! :shock:

Second thing is a Shaker style bedside cabinet (for SWMBO herself), in white oak with white ash as a secondary, and finished with some polyurathane varnish (She tends to put cups of hot tea and such on tables, so I needed a hard finish). Handles are 'satin nickle' or whatever its called from B&Q unfortunatley. She specifically asked for silver hooded handles, which I found very difficult to find, they're all brass! So it had to the B&Q ones... Oh, and for those that know the saga of the dovetail jig (look here), I was pretty pleased with how they turned out in the end!

cb1.jpg

st1.jpg

st2.jpg

st3.jpg

Both pieces very pleasant on the eye tho' do agree with Taffy's comment re handles. Its my own view and a personal thing, but I do think that the choice of handles for a project is one of the most important aspects as it is the part of the job that is touched first when the drawer is opened. If they are not quite right it does detract from the piece rather than enhance it. Still, two very acceptable pieces - Rob

Ewan,

I really like them, and as for the handles well they must be right if they were specified by the recipient. I rather like the nickel finish.

Jobs a good 'un.

Dod

Well as for the handles, I assure you that they do look better in the flesh, and also that SWMBO specifically specified hooded handles, and she doesnt like brass or black iron, so that left silver or pewter.

Waka, The side panels of the cabinet are joined together with frames, which supportrs the drawers.

Two nice pieces Ewan, well done.

I'm particularly interested in the chess board as I was considering making something similar myself. One question from a beginner's perspective - how have you allowed for wood movement given you have edged all four sides? (i.e. the grain of the edge piece at the "playing ends" of the board is perpendicular to the main board itself.)

Thanks,
Paul.

Back