Setting problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Two or three months back I fished an old E.C. Atkins crosscut handsaw. I broke off two teeth during the setting. The setting tool was installed correctly. I pushed slowly not hard but firmly as I do on the other saws. Now this is my first old one and I wonder why the teeth broke. Maybe it's gone brittle because of its age but how can I tackle this? Maybe exposing the blade under the hot sun before setting?

I'd be glad for any advice,

Marc

MikeW would know for shore. He makes fine saws. He'll probably see this thread soon......

Hi Marc,

If a tooth snaps when setting, it all too often means like you surmise--the steel is brittle.

Well, there is another thing which it can be. If the teeth when previously set had been set two or more in a row to the same side and one tries to set one back to the proper side, that can, and often does, break a tooth.

If that was the cause and the missing teeth are not in direct line, you may not feel any difference in use and eventually they will be recreated as you file the saw.

If it's due to the steel being brittle, that can happen two ways. The most obvious is due to age. Another is if the saw ever had the teeth ground off for retoothing, that can alter the steel if it got hot enough and quenched to cool it down. If it is the former, nothing can be done. If the latter, usually retoothing will get beyond the too hardened steel.

And Jake--thank you for the kind words!

Take care, Mike

Mike,

Thank you for your appreciated advice. I did not set back the teeth, but maybe the owner before :roll: . They were set perfect as current. One thing however stroke my juvenile eyes. Almost a quarter of the teeth weren't set at all. It appeared as someone would have left the job in the middle of it.

If I understand well, I will retooth and check setting then again. How much do I have to grind off? All or can I leave a small gullet? I assume it is guesswork? :?

Regards, Marc

Hi Marc,

Whenever I know I am going to need to at least go down to the bottom of the gullets, I only joint to a little above the bottom of the teeth, cut down with the file a little more, joint again and then complete the job by fully shaping the teeth, filing, set and then very lightly joint and lightly file again.

Take care, Mike
off to sleep-land...

Back