Senaca adaptor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Been looking at these and I know someone on these forums uses one with a 4mm cutter on a 700 but there are reportedly some issues with them damaging the machine. I suspect these originate from Festool because used correctly I cannot see how this would happen and although it is not something I am looking at right now I would like to have the 6mm as an option. The overall length of a 500 cutter and adaptor is according to Senaca the same as a 700 cutter as shown in RTS-500 Cutter Adapter for Festool Domino DF 700

but it clearly has less cutting depth so it would be possible to plunge too deep and this may cause machine damage but surely you would realise this. Also looking at Senaca products they do look to be of a good quality so the design must be ok. Anyone with extra info?

I don't have any first hand experience with the Seneca adapter, as I have the DF500 and DF700. The only problem that I saw was when someone returned a DF700 after it failed to provide the desired results with the Seneca adapter and a 6mm cutter. I was in the store next to the person returning the DF700; otherwise, I would not have known anything about the issue.

The customer wanted to use the DF700 and make deeper mortises with the 6mm cutter than was possible with the DF500. Unfortunately, the 6mm cutter has a limited cutting depth because of the shape of the shaft. He kept forcing the machine to cut deeper and the shoulder of the cutter was binding on the mortise and burning the wood. After repeated attempts, he eventually tightened the cutter and adapter to the DF700 shaft so tight that he was afraid to apply too much force to free them. He tried to return it for a refund, but since he was well beyond the 30-day return window and was using the machine in a way that Festool did not authorize, the dealer refused a refund. However, they did remove the adapter, with the cutter attached, and give everything back to the customer.

The only purpose for the Seneca adapter is to allow one machine to use all of the available cutters, but within the design limits of the cutters.

Hi

The customer wanted to use the DF700 and make deeper mortises with the 6mm cutter than was possible with the DF500. Unfortunately, the 6mm cutter has a limited cutting depth because of the shape of the shaft. He kept forcing the machine to cut deeper and the shoulder of the cutter was binding on the mortise and burning the wood.
That is exactly what I thought would happen, you can have 500 cutters in the 700 but only with the 500 mortice depth. He should have just used the 700 8mm cutter. So that would have put enormous strain on the gearbox components that oscillates the cutter from side to side and would sheer teeth on gearbox components.

Back