Selling a car

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Charlie
Why don't you have a look on here http://www.mmoc.org.uk/ at the Morris Minors Owners club? If you click on the link for the message board there's a huge amount of info from pricing to scams etc. I think Jimmy S has hit it on the head here with a bank transfer.

Some people like to deal in cash though...
I would never sell a car on ebay personally. If you're worried about having people to your place and cash scams etc one option for a popular car like that might be to arrange a fixed viewing time for multiple buyers to come at one pre-allotted time. Estate agents are doing it more and more to sell houses. Amazing what pressure it puts on people to put their hand in their pocket when they see other people interested in the same stuff they want. That way you could also possibly arrange to have someone there with you if it made you feel more comfortable. Never be embarrassed by cash. Always count. As others have mentioned only someone on the no good has any reason to fear it.
You could always politely explain politely but firmly that you'd like your local bank to conduct the transaction and witness the payment. I'm sure if you popped in before and explained the situation, if you have a half decent teller they would be more than willing to help out. Last option yopu have if the car is worth a bit is to buy yourself a little UV blacklight. http://www.lyco.co.uk/uv-counterfeit-mo ... wwodHqwHpg
And a pen http://www.staples.co.uk/counterfeit-ba ... lsrc=aw.ds To me £20 odd quid would be worth the peace of mind and you can always stick the light on ebay after. Most people are sound. But there's always the ones to be careful of. Always better to be prepared if you're worried about it.
Bank of England pdf link to spotting notes is here: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknote ... lo_res.pdf
Good luck! Sure it will be fine
Regards
Chris.

I sold a caravan for 7K and the guy wanted to pay cash. I said thats fine but I will need to bank the cash before you can take the caravan. I thus heaped the responsibility of the cash being legit onto the bank knowing that once if went over the counter it wasnt my problem. The trouble with this is that you need to transact during high street banking hours. Personally I would be very nervous of taking large amounts of cash from an unknown.

I believe there is a limit on the maximum amount of cash for a single transaction due to money laundering. I seem to recall its about £5k but not sure if that is just for business or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":109yydbm said:
I believe there is a limit on the maximum amount of cash for a single transaction due to money laundering. I seem to recall its about £5k but not sure if that is just for business or anything.

I don't believe there is a limit for deposits, but over a certain amount must be reported to the "authorities"

I was in a Land Rover dealership and they had a notice up saying the maximum amount of cash they could take was "£5,000" or whatever it was and that was due to money laundering laws. However that's all my knowledge is based on so hardly definitive knowledge! :)

A bmw main dealer i delt with recently said they take no more than 2k in cash.

I recently sold my mg midget through the car and classic website.

It's free and it worked without timewasters.

Can you still get a cashiers check.?

Buyer takes cash to bank, bank issues cashiers check, you accept it.

Job done.

When I sold my last van I got the buyer to bring the money to the bank. That way they hand it straight to the cashier to pay into your account. The bank count it and any dodgy notes would be spotted so theres no worries.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Water-Mark":1qor4h9b said:
A bmw main dealer i delt with recently said they take no more than 2k in cash.

I recently sold my mg midget through the car and classic website.

It's free and it worked without timewasters.

Just looked at car and classic - interesting that it displays ebay listed cars too. Quick look it seems to be free to advertise, I wonder why?

Thanks for all the helpful replies. We've decided to use bank transfer, seems less hassle than handling cash.

Just booked a valet for Monday, so plan is then photos & advertise.

Just thought that I would update our experience of selling my wife's Morris Minor Traveller. I received lots of good advice from you guys so thanks one and all.

We decided that we would use bank transfer in the end - the only snag was the buyer had difficulty getting a mobile signal so held up things while he hunted around the garden for a signal!!!

After the advice from you guys and from watching ebay where the cars were either not selling or selling for very low prices I placed an advert with http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C683068 on 19/11/2015 and the car was paid for and collected 24/11/2015.

Prior to this I had done as Roger suggested and contacted Charles Ware Morris Minor Centre and they viewed it and made a good offer. Then later that day a chap who saw the ad came and viewed it made the same offer but went away to think about increasing it and did so later that evening.

We had offered open viewing this coming weekend but won't be necessary now. We had quite a few enquiries and one viewing other than the purchaser. So all in all my wife is very happy so therefore I am very happy!!!

Thanks a million for all your help guys.

Back