segmented oak platter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ad de Crom

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a segmented oak platter made for the wedding of the daughter from my sister-in-law.
Had to work hard to get it done, tomorrow is the wedding, so just in time.
This platter has a diameter of 305mm, almost the maximum diameter I can handle on my lathe. As usual finished with blanc transparent acrylic stain decoration on waterbase.
Comments or critique are welcome.
Cheers, Ad
100_1680-segmentedoakplatter-diam30.jpg

100_1681-segmentedoakplatter-diam30.jpg

100_1682-segmentedoakplatter-diam30.jpg

Hi Ad finally got signed in.

Its a very nice plater ..............I can see where some scrap Oak is going in the future from the spinning wheel build.

Ray

Lovely platter Ad, the change in grain is a very nice feature, almost reminds me of a whirl pool in some places. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

As I've said before I am not a big fan of segmented work (probably 'cos I am useless at measuring and lazy ) but this one with just the grain showing the pieces instead of in your face contrasting woods appeals a lot more. Still appreciate the quality of workmanship and finish on it

Pete

Paul.J":1ndg937a said:
Another cracker their Ad :D
How long does it take you to make one of these from start to finish :?:
Paul, I started monday morning and finished this platter yesterday, so three full days, had to work hard this time to get it ready.
Normally when I take my time a full week.
Thanks, Ad

Oh no! Not another segmented platter Ad! You make me feel very inadequate when you do such lovely things like that!

I am with Pete with the contrasting wood in a platter. I think that it makes it too 'loud', but yours is really beautiful and you are going to have one very happy niece when she sees that. I have no idea as to how you can get the joins so accurate?

Any chance of some step by step instructions pretty please? :roll: :roll:

Jonzjob":30lgolt3 said:
Oh no! Not another segmented platter Ad! You make me feel very inadequate when you do such lovely things like that!

I am with Pete with the contrasting wood in a platter. I think that it makes it too 'loud', but yours is really beautiful and you are going to have one very happy niece when she sees that. I have no idea as to how you can get the joins so accurate?

Any chance of some step by step instructions pretty please? :roll: :roll:
Thanks John, maybe a good idea posting a tutorial about the way how I did it. There are more tutorials to find on the internet about this issue.
I developed my own way in making segmented work, on for me the easiest way.
But first I'm going to enjoy a well deserved vacation in the Black Forest in Germany.
Ad

The subtle change of grain direction resulting from the segmenting adds a lot of character as Pete says, well controlled and fine joints throughout and the tight dimensional control of the ring joins adds another level of complexity to the mix as well. =D> =D>
For sure the finished piece will be more stable over time than a single piece blank.
Can't envision tackling such a piece with that sort of timescale limitation :shock:

Hi Ad,
I can really appreciate the skill and patience that has gone into producing your platter.
It has turned out really well!

Malc :D

gasmansteve":3375679i said:
Just wondered Ad do you cut your segments with a bench or mitre saw?
Lovely platter BTW.
Steve
Steve,I use a mitre saw, but made some improvements on these mitre saw to make it more precise working.
Ad

Back