securing pillar drill in shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
im sure some of you have encountered this problem before.
ive have a very large and very heavy progress no1 pillar drill.
at the moment i have it in my shed just bolted to the wooden floor, obviously not ideal, as it wobbles around a bit.
my shed sits on our old patio but i cant really secure the drill to it.
what have some of you come up with to make a drill like this nice and rock solid in a wooden shed.
any ideas.

regards,

chris......

Mine's on a chipboard plinth (old shelf) on floorboards on the 2nd floor of the house. It's bolted down but it does move about a bit.

To be honest the biggest issue is the runout, not the vibration as such (it's Chinese - don't say it!). I find it's much better if I take the tension off the belts when it's out of use, then the bearings don't seem to 'flat spot' in one place. I ought to get round to redoing the quill one day...

... can you do several layers of MR MDF or chipboard under it? The 'plinth' although really thin, stiffened mine up a lot.

Hi

Cut a hole to suit in the shed floor and stand the drill on concrete blocks or directly on the patio.

Regards Mick

I would imagine making a concrete mold oversized and about 15 cm thick. You can then just bolt it to the block. That should keep it still

You may be able to brace the pillar to the shed wall as a 'lash-up' fix, but the 'proper' way is to bolt it to a substantial concrete floor or plinth. The small footprint of a pillar drill is not really designed for wooden floors at all, especially not flimsy ones.

Latest posts

Back