Second hand lathe advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking out for a second hand lathe and have come across many which are located in GB mainland. However, being from Northern Ireland, the postage rates are often prohibitive.

Basically I’m looking for a something suitable for an absolute beginner to give turning a go. There’s a second hand Record Power DML-36SH available at the moment not far me. It’s about 5-6 years old and apparently in good condition. It also comes with the leg stand for the Record Power lathes.

Three specific queries:

1) I am aware that many on this Forum would no longer recommend Record Power as a manufacturer. However, would this be a suitable lathe for a beginner? (I anticipate the lathe will be mainly used for small bowls and spindle turning, but then who can anticipate the future!)

2) What would be a reasonable price to expect to pay for this particular lathe?

3) What should I look for when I go to look at it to ensure it really is in “good condition”?

Thanks as always,
Paul.

Hello Paul.
I would look at the Perform lathes from Axminster.
I had a Record lathe,didn't enjoy my turning using it than i bought the Perform CCBL and it as made all the difference.Well pleased with it.
You can always come over to the woodturning forum :wink:
Paul.J.

PaulJ,

If I was buying new, I would definitely consider the Perform CCBL but the Record is available for £80. My thinking (perhaps flawed!) was that I could use this to try out turing, then sell it when my skills developed beyond its capabilities (without too much depreciation) and buy a "better" one. Thus my thinking was that this was a "low cost" option to "try out" turning.

What were the problems with the Record lathe you had? Were they worth the extra £120 that the CCBL would cost me?

Thanks,
Paul.

PaulH.
Sorry Paul,i didn't mean to put you off the Record.
This is just my own personal experience with a DML24X.Which as i say spoiled my turning.
I just found the Record a pain to use.
The tailstock never slid up the bars easily,even though they were cleaned and polished regular,i had to use both hands and lift it up.
I had to use 2 spanners to tighten the tailstock up,but i did upgrade it to the Bristol levers,which made that operation better.
Changing the belt speeds.
I suppose it depends how serious your going to get,but i was just thinking of you been put off turning if you encounter the same problems i had,perhaps you won't.
Paul.J.

PaulJ,

Thanks - at least these are things I'll know to look at when looking at the lathe that's for sale.

Your responses are appreciated.

Regards,
Paul.

PaulH, Is there a scroll chuck included in the deal, this would make it a more realistic buy.

Ease of turning is enhanced an order of magnitude with a scroll chuck and dovetail jaws.

If one does not come with the deal then expect to pay 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 times as much again as the lathe to purchase one.

If purchasing a chuck try to pick a model that has interchangeable headstock thread adaptors available that have a range to cover any future lathe you may purchase.

I am not saying that you cannot work without a chuck but it can be more time consuming coping with mounting items without one.

I don't quite have the same lathe but an old Record (Blue) DML 24 bought S/H one year ago for £60. I've only done a few projects with it and nearly always small/miniature spindle work including a 90% complete Alto Recorder.
For my needs the Record is ideal, larger work may give it a problem especially in terms of vibration. Providing you don't intend doing large bowls or very thick spindles then the Record lathe is very capable, the rest of it is your skill/experience.
At £80 I don't think it's expensive, even if you used it for a few months and sold it on your not going to lose a great deal.

I have the Record DML36 lathe and find it fine. I am no turner myself and only use it if I need to make some legs or spindles for a woodworking job. I have been happy with it and use the Record chuck from another lathe I used to own. It does everything I need it to so I can't complain. :wink:

Hi Paul,

I'm with Mignal and Mailee on this one, you will be fine with the Record for a while as you decide whether turning is for you, and if you outgrow it in six months or a year (some people don't), then you should be able to sell it on without much trouble for much the same as you paid for it.

It's what I did when I got started a few years back.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Thanks to everyone who replied above. I've now purchased the lathe and leg stand. Got it for £70 with one of these "thrown in" along with a few other "odds and ends" so I'm very pleased :D. Just need to get it set up and learn how to use it now!

Thanks again,
Paul.

PaulH":3blo64uu said:
Just need to get it set up and learn how to use it now!
Paul.

Paul, In case you have missed the many references to it before, the bible as far as basics in turning and associated tool use in my opinion is the late Keith Rowleys book "Woodturning, A Foundation Course" If you do not have a copy then I strongly recommend that you obtain it or borrow from your library.

After 2+years creating mountains of shavings I still keep going back to it for a refresher.

Best of luck with your new toy, and do not be bashful in asking for help, we have all been through the rather steep learning curve of spinning bits of wood versus tools and body, some more recently than others but all in all turners are a friendly bunch and have had to ask the obvious at some time or another.

CHJ,

I already had a copy of Rowley's book and got his related video in the "extras" that came with the lathe! :D :D Went out and bought a roughing gouge yesterday (Robert Sorby, 3/4") as well and turned my first cylinder late last night once I got the lathe cleaned a bit. I think I'm hooked....

For anyone else starting out, I too would thoroughly recommend Rowley's book - If I can turn a cylinder from a square piece of scrap in a matter of minutes after reading the book anyone can!

Now which tool do I need next?...... (Is there a slope for turners too? :wink: )

Thanks again,
Paul.

PaulH":1qrhtteb said:
(Is there a slope for turners too? :wink: )

Paul.

Oh yes,just pop into the turning forum,and you will find plenty of sufferers :lol: (me included)

Andrew

PaulH":1b54pmht said:
Now which tool do I need next?...... (Is there a slope for turners too?)

The turning slope is more like the Cresta Run! :)

Since your already turning cylinders between centres, a spindle gouge is probably a natural progression for you, followed by a skew chisel. However, although they're both easy to find and easy to purchase, using them requires completely different techniques, so be prepared for some more learning! :)

Ray.

I already had a copy of Rowley's book and got his related video in the "extras" that came with the lathe!

I guess with all the extras the cost of the lathe doesn't add up to much. That's just plain unfair. Enjoy the experience, turnings a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Back