Scrolled Portrait

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rot! It was the Combined Fleet. On that basis the Americans are apparently right in thinking they won the war (Both of them). :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Who did a whole project on Trafalgar and got an A, so there. :p *

*Tragically I've probably still got it somewhere... :oops:

Tim":9q16ohbj said:
Anyway, I like the Spanish.

Although obviously they always cock it up when they get into boats eg above, Armada, fishing British waters esp off Cornwall...... (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Alf":9q16ohbj said:
*Tragically I've probably still got it somewhere... :oops:

Indeed - but without wishing to take over the thread here :oops: the spanish would not have got involved if it wasn't for Boney's plans. I know they called it the Combined Fleet but you can imagine the gallic/ iberian huffing and posturing that must have gone on to get to that point - who remembers the Byass Gonzales/ Gonzales Byass ads? :D

Cheers

Tim

I imagine dislike and jealousy of Britain was about the one thing the French and Spanish could really agree on. :lol:

But we seem to have sailed off on a non-finishing tack here. Sorry, Gill. We'll return you to your normal programming...

Cheers, Alf

You've raised some woodworking good points, Tim. Perhaps I should rub the dental tape with white spirit first to remove the wax. Insofar as the glue up is concerned, I think I'm the only member here who does this sort of work so I'll probably have to come up with a solution of my own. I'm also aware that if I mount the piece in a frame I'll have a classic cross-grain situation which could lead to cracking. Again, I'll have to try to accommodate this.

I'm not sure the away win football match is the best analogy we could use for the Battle of Trafalgar. According to Barnes Wallace (in the film The Dambusters!) Nelson had a technique of skimming his cannon fire off the sea surface to hit the enemy at or below the waterline. I'm sure Alf'll correct me if I'm misinformed! So shouldn't we be likening the encounter to a cricket match, with England's spin bowlers asserting themselves?

Let's hope it augurs well for the summer when the Aussies arrive!

Gill

Gill":3o3dq757 said:
According to Barnes Wallace (in the film The Dambusters!) Nelson had a technique of skimming his cannon fire off the sea surface to hit the enemy at or below the waterline. I'm sure Alf'll correct me if I'm misinformed!
Oh dear. I really ought to stop doing that. Sorry. :oops: But I dunno; sounds a bit unlikely to me. The only reference I can find off-hand to Nelson saying anything about cannon is from "Naval Cannon" by John Munday wherein he's quoted as saying in response to a new idea for sighting and laying the guns:
As to the plan for pointing a gun truer than we do at present (1801), if the person comes I shall of course look at it, or be happy, if necessary, to use it, but I hope we shall be able to get so close to our enemies that our shot cannot miss the object.
Which sort of makes it sound unlikely... :-k

Gill":3o3dq757 said:
So shouldn't we be likening the encounter to a cricket match, with England's spin bowlers asserting themselves?
Erm... more like fast bowlers maybe?

Okay, I'm going, I'm going... Sorry. :(

Cheers, Alf

Edit: Did a bit more searching, and one reference connected to Barnes Wallace referred to Nelson's observations of the effect of a skimming cannon ball. So it's likely he saw the phenomenon but unlikely he deliberately did it himself perhaps? Funny, I'm sure there was something I was supposed to be doing this afternoon too... :roll: :lol:

Back