Scroll saw puzzle blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippet

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm working on my first jigsaw puzzle using 2/0 scrollsaw blades which are doing a great job.
However, during my searches on the internet, I came across Mike's workshop site in the U.S.A which was advertising:
'Flying Dutchman - Superior Puzzle Blades'
I would like to order some to have a go - they sound great. Has anyone used them and does anybody know of stockists in Britain?
Cheers! :)

The FD puzzle blades are good but they're not to everyone's taste. All scrollsaw blades have right hand bias to some degree, but I find it more pronounced with FD blades, especially the finer ones. Moreover, they cut much more aggressively than some other brands so I'd suggest setting your saw at a slow speed whilst you get used to them.

There are other blades available, such as theHegner WB00, which you might prefer to the FDs, although they are slightly thicker. Alternatively, if you ever find yourself near a jewellery supplier (such as those in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter or scattered throughout London) you could purchase jewellers blades. These blades will cut even more finely than the FDs, but they are designed to cut metal rather than wood so they will be much slower and have a greater tendency to break.

I suggest you try Mike's FD blades first. Most people like them and they seem to last much longer than other brands. Mike takes enormous pride in his customer care and I've always found that blades ordered from him arrive promptly, despite the transatlantic crossing. You won't find a stockist in the UK.

Gill

:) Thanks Gill I'll try Mike's. I'm also going to order Swiss 6/0 5/0 4/0 3/0 2/0 blades from Shesto to compare the different sizes and see what suits me (I think they're called 'Razor'). Has anybody tried these out?

Latest posts

Back