Screwfix Titan TTB598MSW sliding compound mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure if this will do left AND right bevels ?, (does not say it can in the spec..).

It is certainly cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for. Probably OK for "rough" (non accurate) work, and being 210 dia, the depth of cut will be a bit limited.

As with any budget saw check it over to ensure it is all lined up perfectly and if there is side to side play in the machine then take it back, Screwfix are good like that.

The reviews suggest it's generally pretty good, but seem to be hobbyists mostly who i'm going to assume do not know what a really good saw feels like and probably use it for jobs where fine accuracy isn't necessary. I remember thinking my rage saw was amazing when I got it (doing basic timber frames) and for the money it is very good but the things are terribly set up from the box and require lots of fettling to get them cutting straight, it's now satisfactory for finer work (specially since I ditched the terribly evo blade and out on a Freud!)

As said above it seems it just does single bevels, but that's not a deal breaker.
Might be worth considering if the depth of cut is suitable for your requirements.
It's worth having a decent 2" engineers square for setting up/checking blade alignment as the indicator marks particularly on cheaper saws are not always accurate.
Doesn't look too bad for the money though judging by the reviews.

Cheers everyone it is a means to a end to cut the decking,fence joist for workshop being medically retired so funds are tight at the moment
I had to spend money on garden kit just to clear the jungle out the back it has been left for six years due to my back condition some days I cant get out of bed other days spend half a hour out the back is a massive achievement so it is going to be a long haul to reclaim the garden and finish the workshop.
Once the workshop is water tight I can then build a workbench so I can do garden furniture, raised boarders so I dont have to bend over and have some colour back in the garden the decking to save cutting grass I need to have a low very low maintenance garden so it is not going to be high end quality stuff I will be building to start with. I also need to build my skill levels up as I class myself as a hobbyist at present .
Once I have got the skill`s needed some of the other projects I would like to do is a custom HI-FI rack for all my gear and strorage of my LP collection and a purpose built unit to store all my photography kit as well.

I've got a couple of titan tools and have been happy with them for basic jobs. Nearly bought this exact one for some decking but ended up just cutting them by hand. If I needed a new SCMS (before I can afford a kapex :) ) I'd not hesitate picking this up for the sort of tasks you've mentioned.

Good luck Gerry, sounds like a big task with a bad back but a mitre saw should make life a lot easier.
Have you tried wearing a back support? One of these http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/better ... rt-stays-s has made a great difference to my ability to do woodwork and gardening without slipping a disc for very little cost. You are trussed up like a chicken :roll: but no back problems since I started using it. Maybe worth a try!
Regards Keith

Cheers Keith I have a neoprene support but currently I have had three spinal operations got 16 bolts ,3 cages ,6 fusions and a metal plate holding my spine together just waiting to see my surgeon on the 24th . I think anther Vertebrate has gone and pressing on my spinal cord like last time so just have to wait and see what happens fingers crossed that all I will need is spinal blocks rather than another operation thats a 6-12 mth recovery time .
But on the bright side I am not in a wheel chair I will never work again finally accepted that fact .
I just take one day at a time got a camper van so little and often beaks away helps with my depression.
one of the worst things is I had my shed broken into and had every tool I owned stolen so rebuilding it back up on a budget is the hardest part I try car boot sales but its slim picking for hand tools these days .

diviy":3vrr51du said:
Looking for a saw to do decking roof joists new fence etc
This saw will do all my needs
It does left and right bevels and also does depth cuts
going by the reviews it sound a bargin for 90 quid
Anyone used it or any recomendations for a saw around this price that will do all the options listed
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb598msw-210mm-sliding-mitre-saw-240v/73135

Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry I have used this saw before. One thing I found was the turning lock was flimsy. So periodically the saw would gradually turn from 90 degrees to 87 etc. Managed to to cut most of my decking before it became unusable. Best thing to do is use it and return it before 30 days are up on screwfix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it - if it's decking/fencing/roofing you'll be fine with a cheap saw like that - may be worth upgrading the blade with something from Saxon to get tidier cuts.

I’ve got an evolution budget mitre saw. I’ve used it pretty heavily. It’s five years old and been back once for a refurb under warranty. All sorts of stuff from cutting pallet wood and structural timber through to cutting skirting board and architrave. It’s really important to check it for square regularly and to some extent you need to learn how to work with its limitations. Once you know it you can do good work but it’s not necessarily plug and play. You get what you pay for but can do good work if you learn how to get the best out of it.

Back