Scrap Cabinet WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post some pictures of a little cabinet I started over the weekend. I was poking around in my scraps and came across a couple of pieces of yellow poplar that was left over from when I built the sailboat. These pieces are part of what was a 4x4 laminated from three pieces. I ended up ripping some of the siding off these and ended up with a couple of 6' long pieces made of the 3 pieces.

I decided to use one of them to cut some practice dovetails on the Rat. I planed the wood until both faces were smooth but I didn't worry about the thickness. Later I measured it at about 0.41 inches. The thickness doesn't really matter much. Then I figured out how big a cabinet I could make and cut the pieces to length. After I got the case pieces made I decided it should have a drawer. The drawer has a false front and is really too small to be good for anything.

After I had the cabinet made up including the back panel, I discovered another waste piece from the same timber that was solid and about 4" wide. I cut a couple of pieces for the slab door. Now I just need to mount the door, sand like crazy, add several heavy coat of paint and it will be finished.

Not pretty but it's been fun to use up some scraps. I give my bride a hard time because it seems like all we ever have for dinner is leftovers. How can you have leftovers if you never have "firsts"? yesterday it occurred to me that I seem to build a lot of stuff from scrap but I never make anything out of new wood. :roll:

Thanks for looking.

dsc02750.jpg

dsc02752.jpg

Nice looking cabinet the offcuts get treated better than new timber sometimes. :wink: :wink: usually no spare to finish the project if there is a mistake.

Nice shine on the table saw been polishing.

No unusable offcuts in my place the hotspot has eaten them all. :roll: :roll:

Les

Thanks Les,

You might be right about making a project from scraps. Either you must be more careful because the wood supply is limited or maybe it is that since it's just scraps, if you make a mistake, the wood is still scrap, it's just smaller. :D

I quite like that Dave, the wood is interesting to look at in it's natural state - I'd leave it natural.

Well, thank you for those nice comments. I'll probably let it sit for awhile and see what color the wood turns before I put any finish on it. As to its location once complete, I don't know. Probably on one of the unpainted sheet rock walls in my shop. I don't even know what I'll use it for after it is finished.

It might be that the best thing would be to paint the door and drawer closed and leave it empty. :D

Dave,

I (like most others who havev commented) really like to "natural" stripey wood look. If you've nowhere to put it it would look great in my bathroom :D

Cheers,

Dod

Latest posts

Back