sawdust website question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
I don`t want this to come over the wrong way, by that I mean i am by no means criticising any bodies work.

with reference to:
http://www.sawdustalley.co.uk/How-to/sh ... /index.htm

"I'm fixing the frame assembly down to the table top, NO glue.

I like to use these plastic fixing blocks, and good quality screws."

surely the purpose of this exercise would be to allow the table top to move independently of the stretchers????? don`t the screws stop the top from moving?

should there not be slots cut in the stretchers with some kind of sliding bracket that is holding the top down????

I ask this (as a beginner) because I`m in the process of designing a tv corner cabinet in which i want to fix a top down in the same fashion.

any advice on this subject would be gr8!

Steven,

I think you may have spotted something there. I believe those plastic blocks are primarily designed for putting chipboard furniture together (although I'm open to correction on that). I really don't know if they allow for movement of a table top. The style of fixing plate that you're probably thinking of is a stretcher plate which works fine. I personally prefer the old-fashioned wooden buttons, but that link gives a good overview of all the options.

Cheers, Jester

1. Sawdustalley has forums please keep SDA and UKW seperate - You should post it there.

2. I usually use the 'button' method, but didn't that day because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible for everyone, The blocks will allow some movement, I have the table beside me now and after about 2 months its still in good shape - NO cracks. Glue would allow 0 movment.

Latest posts

Back