Saw Plate Gauge.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, as a sawmaker do you think this is an improvement? The reduced effort of sawing a narrower kerf seems like a pretty big advantage when you consider you may be turning half the amount of wood into dust in the most extreme cases. I think the LN thin plate uses steel just 0.015 thick.

I was more interested in the swage set teeth, I wonder how you hit the front of the teeth without ruining the edge, presumably only for rip saws. Must need an awfully steady hand.

For any others interested, swaging is achieved through forcing a die onto the front surface of the tooth by means of an eccentric cam operated via lever. I did think it was asking a lot of a hammer man.

swaging.jpg

Interesting, but I'm not sure that the major sawmakers took much notice of it. My vintage backsaws are admittedly a bit earlier than the 1933 date of the standard, but they don't conform. The 16" Robert Sorby backsaw (3 3/4" blade depth below back) is 8tpi and a consistent 0.028" thick - 0.004" less than the standard minimum thickness. The Thomas Turner dovetail saw 9" long, 2" below the back and 14tpi, is 0.024" thick, again 0.004" less than the standard minimum.

I'm not totally convinced by the modern fashion for very thin sawblades. I can see the theory, but there are factors worth consdering other than thinness of kerf. The resilience of the tool to the rigours of daily use is also a factor; a slightly thicker blade will be less vulnerable to accidental damage. For that reason, I'd prefer a 0.020" thick dovetail saw blade to a 0.015" thick one - but that's a personal opinion, not an absolute!

Edit to add - stiffness of a piece of metal is proportional to the cube of the thickness. Thus, a 0.020" blade is more than twice as stiff as a 0.015" one.

Latest posts

Back