Sanding sealer ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi , can anyone give me the info on this :?:

What is it :?:

and why and when should you us it :?:

see it advertised , looks quite pricey as well

Thanks

Allen

Hi Allen,

It's a suspension of shellac (a type of varnish extracted from natural sources) in a a solvent. Very quick drying, it leaves a clear finish that allows you to apply another finish but usually just wax without it 'sinking back' into the grain and looking patchy. Several coats applied with a rag and rubbed back with wire wool then waxing gives a smooth natural looking finish that enhances the natural colour and grain of the wood. This type of finish is not very resistant to heat or water though and would easily mark. For pieces that need to be durable I still use it as a 'primer' coat for a decent varnish like Ronseal Hardglaze.

It looks pricey but depending on the wood, a little goes a long way.

cheers,

Ike

Blister":1j1l28l7 said:
OK ike

so its a undercoat for top coat finish

Thanks

Yes and no. Some sanding sealers can be used under just about any finish. However, if the shellac used is not dewaxed, it can cause problems with film finishes such as lacquer or varnish. I make my own from blonde dewaxed shellac flakes and meths.

Brad

Hi Ike & Brad

Over the past five years I've been using sanding sealer on a few of my projects and not always getting the finish I thought I would get :(

Now I think I know where I've been going wrong so next time should hopefully be better :)

Thanks for your posts.

Blister, Sanding sealer need not be shellac based, I use cellulose based and acrilic based versions on my turnings as well as Shellac, depends on final use and subsequent finishes required.

Have a look at Chestnuts Site for more descriptive use of constituents and uses. They are obviously not the only supplier but descriptions are a good reference.

OK thanks for your reply

What I was looking for is this

I have made 3 Boat name plates

The Boat is in a sea environment and I was wondering if using a sanding sealer before varnishing would be better then several coats of varnish :?:

so to seal or not to seal that is the question :lol:

Personally, I would thin some yacht varnish by about 20% for the first two coats to increase penetration, then rub over with fine wire wool before giving it another three coats of unthinned yacht varnish, rubbing down with the finest grade of glass paper between each coat. I would also try to allow at least 48 hours (ideally 96 or even a week) between later coats to allow the varnish to cure.This may seen excessive, but remember that name plates are likely to be exposed to more waves, spray etc than most of the varnished surfaces. Few things make a boat look as tatty as a nameplate with peeling and/or partially opaque varnish.

Latest posts

Back