sanding machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Reg.

I use a MDF faceplate in the chuck to hold sanding discs.

Another way is to turn a cylinder between centres, the circumference/ length to fit what ever sanding material you plan to use. Cut a saw cut or two along the length of the cylinder creating a wedge shaped groove. Fit the sanding material tightly around the cylinder with the edges fitting into the groove. Fix the edges in the groove using small wooden wedges, and keeping the top of the wedges below the level of the sanding face.

You can then make a rise and fall table to fit into your banjo, and it is possible to use it as a sizing sander by taking a small amount off at each pass. Normally you would push the wood through against the force of rotation of the sanding drum.

I used a spiral wrap of sandpaper around a turned rod to sand the inside of a staved cylinder for one project. The rod was mounted between centres:

image002.jpg

and the abrasive was wrapped in a spiral around it. I simply taped the sandpaper to the rod at both ends.

image004.jpg

It worked well for that specific project. The sandpaper I used is available in 2" wide rolls: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,42500

For a more elaborate set-up used for thickness sanding glued up rings for segmented work there is an article at: http://www.woodturningonline.com/assets ... ander.html

Take care
Bob

I have made my sanding machine, well more like a disc sander, I had to stick on the disc with glue that may be a problem when I have to change it.
I cut a 6inch round disc of wood, screwed it to the round thing with holes in, screwed that to the end of lathe, put the lock nut to it and gave it a go.
Well it works, now to make a rest to fix next to it.
The disc's cost about £6 for 5 and I think you can buy more of them round metal wheels, are they called face plates?

Hi Reg,

Do you have a chuck ? If so then no need to bother with the faceplates, just glue/screw a round piece of waste to a bigger round of mdf or ply and mount the waste piece in the chuck, face the mdf with the sandpaper and away you go !

I have a few with the bigger 10" I think self adhesive sanding discs in different grits and just swap them over as required, takes no time at all.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Do you have a chuck ?
Paul,
I have only just started with a lathe but have no chuck, they all seem very expensive, will have to start saving up.
B & Q did not have any self adhesive sanding discs but will have a look at Yardles Saturday.

Would this chuck be any good and do I need a mandrill to fit it to the lathe?

Dakota 3 Jaw Micro Precision Chuck - 1" x 8tpi

Description | Customer reviews

This self centring, precision micro chuck is perfect for holding small items on a lathe. Complete with stepped jaws that are reversible for extra versatility, this chuck can grip work from 3/4" up to 2 1/2" in diameter from the inside and up to 1 1/4" on the outside. Measuring only 2" in diameter, this chuck is not bulky and the small jaws reduce the risk of knocked knuckles when cutting close to the chuck. Available in two thread sizes, this chuck is ideal for the miniature or lace bobbin turner.

Hi a wee tip for glueing sanding discs, use a hot melt glue gun on on the back of your sandpaper and apply/attach to your disc , then when you want to remove it heat gently with a hot air gun then peel off, then apply next piece of sand paper, repeat process etc. hope this makes sense

Hi Reg,

You would gey a lot more use and satisfaction from one of these http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/XT700. Quite a lot more expensive though as you say.

If you don't have one already and don't need the expense at the moment then stick with faceplates as you originally thought like these http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -22086.htm (check your spindle thread size though), though doesn't take many of those before you ar well on the way to the price of a chuck which is much more versatile !!!

Might be able to get the faceplates at Yandles a bit cheaper on the day as you say.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Latest posts

Back