Sanding equip.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any particular sanding system that could be recommended . I have a 6" oscillating sander and a Bosch detail sander but I am wondering if there is a bench one that I could use and are they expensive. I have difficulty now with the two hand held ones so advice would be most welcome . Thank You

what are you trying to sand- edges or faces of pieces. how big are the pieces?

I like the sort of sanding station which has a belt sander on top and a disc sander facing on the front. It can be very useful, especially for dimensioning components. I've made a simple sled for mine which ensures that cut components are uniform:

SandingStationSled1.jpg

marcros":11hgnpp5 said:
what are you trying to sand- edges or faces of pieces. how big are the pieces?

Yes edges and faces ,plus corners , I have a few Dremmal type tools that I can access the center holes and cutouts .
That one Gill has posted looks to be the perfect one especially with the sled attached . I think I am capable of making one for it .
I have made some for a table saw and a bandsaw before so I will be on the lookout for a small similar machine.
Thanks Gill ,I am still at the "getting all the stuff together" stage I have made a few things which my Grandchildren have snaffled up.
I thought it was hard when I was turning to have my children checking to see what was ready for the taking . Grandkids WOW.

Happy Days Again .

God Bless.

Hi Eugene. Nice to hear you are making great strides forward and you are enjoying your scrolling. The sander Gill posted is perfect for scroll sawing. I have something similar with a 4 inch wide belt and a 6 inch disc and I would be lost without it. I also have drum sanders in several sizes. My next purchase will be a 10 - 12 inch stand alone disc sander. If you get one I would use 80 grit for the belt and 120 for the disc, the disc is capable of removing wood very rapidly.

deppends what you doing and how thick i have axminster belt and disk bench top brilliant for fettling radius and small flat pieces especially the belt it only inch wide (belt) but i havent changed the belt yet and had 3 months plus the belts and disks are very cheap and machine only 80 quid

mark

Mark , I take it that sander is along the lines of the one Gill has . I think that is the type I will go for , Geoff ,I will never be at 1/8 your capacity so I think the smaller version will be quite enough for my use .

It's funny but before I started woodturning I had one of those in 6in size ,but as I never used it I gave it to a friend . Oh , well back to the drawing board.

Back