Sanding a bannister/staircase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year SWMBO decided she wanted our staircase painted white and so it was done.

This year, you can probably see it coming, she would like it returned to a varnished state and so it will need to be.

I have started sanding and what a pain in the a** job it is.

I was able to get a loan of a Festool LS 130 Profile sander which has proved a timesaver especially when sanding the ballisters and some of the rails using the 90 degree profile with a 6mm radius.

Has anyone used one of these before?

The hand rail is coming off so this part should be fairly straight forward.

This then leaves the profile that runs from top to bottom on top of the stringers (?). Would it be easier to just remove this and apply a new one or should I attempt to hand sand it?

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards

TheDudester

Next time she want a similar job done ......... say "yes dear of course"....... followed by "But if you change your mind in the next 2 years YOU can sort it out yourself"

on a more helpful note (hopefully) I'd try sanding either by hand or buying a tool to do it ........ if this was taking too long I'd replace

woodbloke":2lyac4nm said:
Dude - hope you get this one finished on time :wink: :lol: - Rob

I deserved that one :cry:

Once upon a time there was a jewellery box, a blanket box built from a cot......

I have sown the seeds for a new table saw so there may be a huge upside....

....who am I trying to kid

D

nickson71":d17t7cuv said:
on a more helpful note (hopefully) I'd try sanding either by hand or buying a tool to do it ........ if this was taking too long I'd replace

She actually did suggest replacing but I'm sure sanding all those profile will be good for the soul.......

I tried to do the same on a staircase once. I used Nitromors first, followed by sanding. It took ages and while the finished job wasn't too bad I was never really happy with it. Personally, I wouldn't try doing it again. In my experience, wood that's had paint stripped from it always looks like wood that's had paint stripped from it. Not much help I'm afraid :cry:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2adh95h7 said:
I tried to do the same on a staircase once. I used Nitromors first, followed by sanding. It took ages and while the finished job wasn't too bad I was never really happy with it. Personally, I wouldn't try doing it again. In my experience, wood that's had paint stripped from it always looks like wood that's had paint stripped from it. Not much help I'm afraid :cry:

Paul

Dude - agree here with Paul. Even when you use a good caustic paint stripper and do the job properly there always seem to be just a smear of paint left, it never seems to come completely clean. It's as though you need to take a shaving off the surface to get back to clean timber which of course you can't do on a staircase - Rob

I completely agree Paul. I have foumd it impossible to get wood back to its virgin state after it has been painted. I would just 'advise' your wife that it will not look as good once stripped.

I have to agree with Paul/woodbloke/slimjim. I spent a whole day about a month back trying to remove the white gloss that covered all the door frames/skirting in the house. At the end of the day (with very little progress), I ripped the whole lot out and ordered new. It was easier, quicker, left me with a better finish and you don't have to breathe in the dust/fumes either.

I know stairs are more complicated but I'd seriously consider replacing as much as you can.

woodbloke":1vf95q3s said:
Dude - agree here with Paul. Even when you use a good caustic paint stripper and do the job properly there always seem to be just a smear of paint left, it never seems to come completely clean. It's as though you need to take a shaving off the surface to get back to clean timber which of course you can't do on a staircase - Rob

err I'm taking it back to the natural wood by sanding........

TheDudester":yr83j8ug said:
woodbloke":yr83j8ug said:

Dude - hope SWIMBO hasn't put an end date on the job in that case 'cos you may be there for a while :D - Rob

TheDudester":3h7vx08z said:
woodbloke":3h7vx08z said:

The point about a staircase is that there are so many complicated bits to remove the paint from. As Rob says, if it were possible to use a plane or a scraper (as you could on, say, a door) it wouldn't be so bad. It's not impossible to achieve a superb result, but with a staircase in a normal domestic environment, I think you will find that about half-way through the job you will start to lose the will to live......... :cry:

Good luck anyway :wink:

Paul

I wouldn't even attempt this. I seriously doubt you will get a good enough finish and when 'she' sees is finished she's likely to change her mind again. I believe its a woman's prerogative. Personally, i'd replace it.

SWIMBO decided ours would be heat stripped and sanded back to a natural finish, it took about a month (weekends and the odd evening for both of us) using a ROS and detail sander. All the spindles were square and I think one of those sanders that looks like a mini belt sanders would have been a boon there (missed tool opportunity :oops: )

Any shaped areas ended up rounded over, there were places that were burnt or too heavily sanded and there were plenty of small dents and dimples with paint still in them. Another issue was the dust, didn't have a shop vac then (another opportunity that sailed on by :( ) Even with trying to seal off the rest of the house it got everywhere.

We were happy with the end result, it had a sort of knocked about restored look and one visitor commented on the nice feature of leaving paint in the dents and hard to reach areas (ooh yes that was on purpose :-$ ) but a perfect finish - nooooooo :)

We have since moved and as part of the required decorating work the stairs will get a light rub and another coat of paint!!

Paul Chapman":2utt8104 said:
The point about a staircase is that there are so many complicated bits to remove the paint from. As Rob says, if it were possible to use a plane or a scraper (as you could on, say, a door) it wouldn't be so bad. It's not impossible to achieve a superb result, but with a staircase in a normal domestic environment, I think you will find that about half-way through the job you will start to lose the will to live......... :cry:

Good luck anyway :wink:

Paul

I think I'l post a few pics later and hope I haven't over sold the complexity of the task. It is not as if it is long and winding and it's a relatively new house. Parts at the top and bottom and the rail. It is a pain though.....just keep thinking table saw.

I've been using a ROS (Festool Rotex 125) and have managed to sand all flat surfaces. Last night I removed the hand rail attached to the wall and sanded that.

I am learning a huge amount about using the ROS,, what pressure is appropriate, not to place the sander down until it has stopped :shock:

Also realising that at time you just can't beat hand sanding.

D

As promised (why does everything take longer than you think it will), here is a picture taken from the bottom part of the staircase. There is also a part at the top similiar in size.

Despite the size, it is taking such a long time.

The handrail from the far wall has been removed and has been sanded ultimately using 240 grit sandpaper.

When I have finished sanding the ballisters and other components, the stair carpet will be lifted so the stringers (?) can be sanded. The moulding on top of the stringers will be removed and replaced.

Softwood and hardwood has been used in the construction so Iimagine the only option I have is to restain it?

Regards

D

Pic0016.jpg

Latest posts

Back