Rutlands Guide clamps only today.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
Rutlands has an offer on their 50" guide clamps again, buy one get one free, with the code Freek2085 at the checkout.

Has anyone had any experience of these and whether they're worth getting? I'm tempted, as two for that price seems to me to be a bargain, and they look like they'd be stellar for router work and other straight cutting jobs. I'm just a little worried at them being own brand, and I've no idea what to look out for in such a tool. Not having used them in the past,I'm not even sure how handy they are.

Any ideas or input?

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+50-clamp-edge-guide-single+DK2085

Nic.

Hi Nic,

I used to have a couple of similar looking ones before I upgraded to the equivalent Trend versions, they're no doubt a useful tool and my experience was that the material they were made from could have been stronger or more effectively reinforced so it was less prone to being dented or put out of shape (indeed one arrived dented which I had replaced, the other had a slight of a dip in the middle which I rectified myself). The clamping action was fine at both ends but when using most of the 50" length if you did put a fair amount of force against the straight edge around the middle it did deflect by 1-2mm.

Looking at the Dakota ones I think the tape measure and the track feature are a bit of a gimmick, I cant really see either being too useful. On my old ones the handles were a bit suspect in how they were joined to the clamping head and would likely be the first thing to break if you didn't treat them carefully and the Dakotas look to have the same setup

As I said I've upgrade to the Trend ones and there is a noticeable difference in quality however 2 for £30 it might be worth it; you may want to consider making a circular saw or router guide if that was your original intention but you may also find yourself using them for glue-ups like I did if you only have short clamps.

Cheers
Alan

Nic

I have a couple of these guide clamps, purchased from Rutlands some time ago, when on a similar offer.

Found them to be very useful, I have used for marking out and as a power saw, plus router guide. (hammer)

Take care.

Chris R.

Back