Rutlands 'Black Friday' Sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems like it's becoming a rather long Friday these days, and why we have it in the UK goodness knows, but anyway, Rutlands is having a 'first come first served' sale:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+black-friday+BLACK?promo=black_friday

Includes offers such as a Solid Brass Wheel Marking Gauge for only £8.85 (save £21) - typically enough having just recently got the Veritas one, though that is a dual one with clamp.

Rutlands are always claiming things are on sale, when the price has been the same as it was for several months. I noticed this the same time last year when I had been keeping an eye on an item I was interested in to find in their sale it was the same price.

I wold not trust Rutlands as far as I could throw them

£225 for a hammer? - and I also noticed that their "black friday deals are the same as normal deals within a quid or two.

Keep e thread, thanks Nick for starting. I thought I was missing something, there are a couple of things in the sale I have been weighing up whether to buy and thought the price looked almost the same as normal. Good to see others have spotted this to.

The price on the QiangSheng low angle jack is the cheapest anywhere I have seen. Tempting...

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Cheers bud. Just ordered an estwing hammer look alike and 3 marking gauges. Happy days

Coley

morturn":1pfo23ch said:
Rutlands are always claiming things are on sale, when the price has been the same as it was for several months.

Same here - I noticed a number of items I was previously interested in are the same price as usual.

Perfect example...
I bought the jig kit from them in March this year for £12.67

e4c10f360db2935baebd19e0d811f728.png

There was a 'deal' on them in October, so not too long ago, for £14.95

5780606a66e1f3e3cea689814d1e2cdb.png

Low and behold, they are in the 'black friday' deal for £16.85

45954742aae0cc5a60e681a98ec7ca27.png

How does that work!?!

Sawdust=manglitter":wvuepkn1 said:
Perfect example...
I bought the jig kit from them in March this year for £12.67

e4c10f360db2935baebd19e0d811f728.png

There was a 'deal' on them in October, so not too long ago, for £14.95

5780606a66e1f3e3cea689814d1e2cdb.png

Low and behold, they are in the 'black friday' deal for £16.85

45954742aae0cc5a60e681a98ec7ca27.png

How does that work!?!

and have probably never been full price at any time

Bodgers":2jokgl7o said:
The price on the QiangSheng low angle jack is the cheapest anywhere I have seen. Tempting...
In April they had a sale at which point the block planes were on offer for £39.99 each. I think the current deal on the rasps means they are a couple of quid less than I paid for them a few months back. So I think on occasion they do have reductions of some sorts.

But they clearly are at the cutting edge of aggressive marketing, so I think all you can do is look at the price at the time and decide if you are happy with it. Ignore all the noise about sales, previous prices, etc.

Terry.

Wizard9999":36awgq23 said:
Bodgers":36awgq23 said:
In April they had a sale at which point the block planes were on offer for £39.99 each. I think the current deal on the rasps means they are a couple of quid less than I paid for them a few months back. So I think on occasion they do have reductions of some sorts.

But they clearly are at the cutting edge of aggressive marketing, so I think all you can do is look at the price at the time and decide if you are happy with it. Ignore all the noise about sales, previous prices, etc.

Terry.

Or if you're unorganized like me and NEVER delete any emails then you can just do a search through all of their previous subscription emails for previous 'deal' prices to see if the current price is any good. Dont get be wrong, i have had some good deals from them in the past, but I have had to keep a good eye out and waited for the right time to buy

0a57c571742c05008222c6a801f55987.jpg

I'm so happy ! Perfect transaction via paypal, email confirmation and delivered in under 24 hours. Awesome packaging and the gauges seem good quality. I was gonna buy one gauge that cost more than all 3, do I'm really grateful you posted about it [WINKING FACE]
155611ed4ffa2625410a039e0492cdba.jpg

The hammer seems extremely good value to, compared to the estwing equivalent.
I now wish I had a Rutland catalogue to browse through, as this order was 100% perfect. They even included a vat receipt :cool: Thanks for the great service Rutlands! !!! ;)

Coley

However ....are we buying stuff because it is a "deal" or because we want it or need it? The internet is excellent for price and alternative checking. The seller offers things at whatever price they want to charge and we decide whether to buy or not.

Logically something can have been cheaper six months ago, be more expensive now and still be a deal. The Brexit effect will have pushed many prices up around 20% in the tool/wood/machinery by early 2017 and prices will be a lot higher than they were this time last year. We may see discount promotions but prices still higher. We are in danger of comparing apples with oranges sometimes.

That said, I am not defending Rutlands. I have never bought from them. It is a fact though that even threads like this, with a negative overall theme from posters, drive traffic to their site in a similar way to clickbait. This thread made me look at their site!

AJB Temple":2zn8foa2 said:
That said, I am not defending Rutlands. I have never bought from them. It is a fact though that even threads like this, with a negative overall theme from posters, drive traffic to their site in a similar way to clickbait. This thread made me look at their site!

My post about the price of a product was not particularly meant to be "negative", just pointing out the price of one item didn't seem much of a bargain. I had thought of adding that exchange rate fluctuations had meant that imports have or will go up in price. I found their customer service to be excellent so have no wish or reason to knock them and they do seem to have some very good deals throughout the year on some items.

Back