Rustic for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a piece of yew log split in half. Realised I hadn't done anything rustic for a while so did this.

Yew, 7" long Dia of bowl 4" Finished with sealer & wax. 3" deep

Sorry 'bout the raindrops & livestock :lol:
Critique on design, technique welcome as always

Pete

Looks really good Pete,well finished and effective :D
Could you have made the bowl deeper,or would it have come through.
How did you hold it on the lathe,and finish the base off :?:

Paul.J":1ed1m7pd said:
Looks really good Pete,well finished and effective :D
Could you have made the bowl deeper,or would it have come through.
How did you hold it on the lathe,and finish the base off :?:

Thanks Paul,
I didn't want to go through the side which would have happened if I'd gone any deeper.

Initially I put it on a screw chuck and shaped the outside leaving a large tenon which I used to do the inside. I then cleaned it off (the tenon) and left it as a little foot to raise it off the deck. I may go back with a doughnut chuck and remove it if it doesn't seem to work after a few days looking at it..

Pete

Thanks for Posting that piece Pete, given me an idea for some bits I have.

Like the proportions of the top view. I'm afraid I would have been tempted to remove some of the underwood to leave a top skirt with an underside mirroring the bowl.

CHJ":3irybiwh said:
I'm afraid I would have been tempted to remove some of the underwood to leave a top skirt with an underside mirroring the bowl.

I love the contrast between the crazy shape yew has and the almost plastic look it gets when waxed. It still has the knots and bumps on the outside albeit polished up a bit. I think you would have had a very small bowl if you had done it your way Chas :lol:

Pete

Another 'Oliver' piece by the artful bodger :wink:

I like the contrast between the civilised top and the feral underside

Great looking piece Pete, you made full use of the challenge you had. The end result is one fine piece, and should sell fast.
Cheers
Pete

top job there! 'Rustic rules' I say! I also love the contrast between the refined and the natural. :D

What did you use to make that little fly on the first photo? It is very realistic! :lol:

Latest posts

Back