Rust on wood turning tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi good people
I have bought a 2nd hand set of used Sorby Woodturning Chisels/Gouges.
They have been kept well without surface rust on the length of the steels and the handles are as new.
Unfortunately where they have been stored in the makers cardboard box and where they have been resting on the cardboard supporting pieces halfway down the length of the tools there is some rust pitting - more than a surface sprinkling they are quite deep rusty. The rust area on each is say 1/2" x 1/4". Obviously doesn't affect the tool but its a cosmetic thing and rust seems to spread.
Ok with fine wet and dry then buffing them on my small buffing mop on my bench grinder (or my neighbours Dremel with wire brush) I will be able to make the rusty bits mirror shiny but surely they will be the target area or prone for rust to come back.
Question - should I try give a coat of spray lacquer (over to be shiny/ex-rust area) such as Chestnut Acrylic Gloss Lacquer Spray -- other brands are available :) or try to remember to keep these parts waxed/oiled? Or what is likely to be the best long term fix?
thanks for your hopefully forthcoming advice

As Phil says.

Spraying with coat of lacquer or similar will resist sliding smoothly across the tool rest as you loose the metal / metal contact and make using them more awkward than otherwise.

Clean them, quick wipe of oil and then you're all set!

S

My wife made me a tool roll, basically a fairly heavy material that was stitched with long sleeved pockets. When the chisels were in there pockets there was enough material to fold over the roll the lot up. I do that in the winter as although humidity is low things in the shed do tend to rust if i'm not careful. She also stitched in a piece of leather strip at the bottom of the tool roll so the sharp ends do not wear through. My shed is not insulated i should add.

Thank you all for your suggestions and yes I guess remove rust polish a bit to keep it smooth then oil/wax whatever take my fancy at the time and job done. I've ordered a Garyflex fine block as it looks as if it should be good at improving the steel on chisels without reverting to wet and dry of various grades. Will report in due course. cheers

Garyflex block update
I bought a fine one and used it with water it is very fine in use - the fine grade wont take off chunks of rust but will gently polish surface rust away. Tried it first on an old 11/2" flat chisel that was not good - yes recommended -- they're not cheap but I am tempted to buy the other two rougher blocks as was is good. However for rougher instant rust removal there is a lot to be said for wet and dry!

I think you may be over finessing this.

Turning tools are a bit more agricultural than the micron level flatness that the handtool fraternity seek - the edge is used straight from the grinder and is freshened before it needs to be in use. I'd give them a good go with some wet / dry starting with something course ish and finishing before your mug of tea gets cold and then get on with turning!

Latest posts

Back