"Russian doll" shed foundation question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fully robotic, I use them for a living:)
I have used them a few times but they came in after I stopped setting out.

The first site I worked on we used a Hilger and Watts 20" theodolite plus steel tapes. We got in an EDM so set out the base for a gantry where we could not easily tape to the bases. The jobs after that I used a total station.

When I was at technical college we were taught using actual chains and arrows. Quite good for rough land surveying as you could leave it on the ground and tape detail from it. But never used one in real life, way too slow.

Fully robotic, I use them for a living:)
Getting the 'shed' square becomes a little more taxing as they get bigger. We did one last year that was roughly 1.4 million square feet, 580 metres long by 220 metres wide, or about 18 football pitches in area.

For the shed in question string lines and geometry are your best bet.

I have used them a few times but they came in after I stopped setting out.

The first site I worked on we used a Hilger and Watts 20" theodolite plus steel tapes. We got in an EDM so set out the base for a gantry where we could not easily tape to the bases. The jobs after that I used a total station.

When I was at technical college we were taught using actual chains and arrows. Quite good for rough land surveying as you could leave it on the ground and tape detail from it. But never used one in real life, way too slow.
Yes, I have used some of the older stuff over the years too. Still do basic quick setting out with two tapes sometimes. I still have a full chain somewhere in the workshop......

They are still available to buy, York Survey Supplies for example.

But they are metric:):):):)
The ones we used were metric.

The only place I have used imperial was in one new building in a nuclear power station in about 1989. Why oh why. It was a big f*** because we were not used to that weird system.

Back