router advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Ryobi RE601E, but the spindle lock shattered in the middle of a job. I bought the TRB001 to replace it, then the MOF001 as soon as it came out. Reviews of both are at the links, if that helps. Any further questions, drop me a PM. Whilst I'm now a Triton demonstrator, I bought both machines because I was very impressed with them.

BTW, www.tritontools.co.uk (no connection) have them both, the larger machine is a bit cheaper too.

Ray.

Newbie_Neil":2malm4aw said:
Did this pass me by or is it something new? Hope you're enjoying the work.
Still fairly new. I was appointed in October, did the D & M Tools show at Kempton Park in November and (amongst other things) I'm off to Holland in February.

Ray.

I also have both the triton routers and can't imagine you could do any better.
I have the larger one mounted in the rat (although some would say it is to heavy) and find it ideal, the winding mechanism for raising and lowering the router is perfect for the rat as you don't need the plunge-bars.

the smaller one is in the router table because of the ability to adjust height from above the table and i use this for freehand work as it's lighter
i'm completely satisfied with both of them and the price is better than any of the equivalents (as far as i know)
good luck with your decision
grant

can i change the bit on the large router above the table as well?
Tnx Jim

Ring":cxywlfny said:
can i change the bit on the large router above the table as well?
Absolutely!

triton25.jpg

Ray.

Ray, good news about the appointment.

One thing, the smaller model. Should you have any movement in the router once you have released the winding mechanism (but before locking). Mine seems to slide up and down a fair but into i lock it. I don't think it was this loose when first bought.

Triton?
Perfect in a table, rubbish handheld (my opinion after about a year of ownership)

LyNx":h9tcy06s said:
One thing, the smaller model. Should you have any movement in the router once you have released the winding mechanism (but before locking). Mine seems to slide up and down a fair but into i lock it. I don't think it was this loose when first bought.
The actuating mechanism is different in that it's a push-button rather than a "twist and click" lever. On the odd occasion it is possible for the button to "half-cock" - requires a firm press both locking and unlocking. That said, I'm not sure that it would affect the rack and pinion mechanism in the way you describe.

When I'm next in the workshop I'll have a delve in both mine and the demo model and see what I can find. If we're on MSN at the same time we can have a "natter" about it, perhaps.

Ray.

Tony":tg60ebaw said:
Triton?
Perfect in a table, rubbish handheld (my opinion after about a year of ownership)
"After about a year" indicates that you've got the larger one (TRB001). I find it OK for hand-held work, especially with the extended base fitted, but it's a little top-heavy for the Leigh D4, for example, which does need extra care.

Ray.

Can you elaborate as this statement on its own does not make it very clear as to why it is 'rubbish'.

Are you talking about the weight, balance, vibration, smoothness of plunge, ease of operating ???????

Sorry another question do i need any special fixing plate for my router table i have a trend plate fitted in my table just now will this be ok to support this beast ;-)
tnx Jim

Merry Xmas To Everyone :D :D :D :D :D

I use the Rousseau plate with my Triton and I beleive the Trend plate is the same. Absolutely no problems with it do you should be OK.
beejay

As an aside, the latest issue of Fine Woodworking carries a test of routers with above-the-table features. Models tested include the Bosch 1617EVS, Craftsman 1617-12, Freud FT1700VCE, Milwaukee 5625-29, Porter-Cable 891, Ridgid R2900, and Triton MOF001.

A link with more details here if you're interested.

The Triton won Best Features and Best Value, so I'm told.

Ray.

Take a look at the Trend T11 before you decide.

It's basically the same design as the well regarded DW625 but with the addition of an above table height adjustment which makes it great in a table, also good hand held.

Have mine semi-permanently mounted in a table with an Extreme Extension collet and the XX and tthe height adjustment make it a cinch to use in the table, no aggro whatsoever.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Got my Triton router ordered wont be here until 4th of January ;-( but at least its ordered .
Have a good xmas everyone tnx for all the advice
Jim

Latest posts

Back