"Rough Cut" with Tommy Mac TV show on UK TV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested in watching the sequel to the NYW on TV?

Tommy Mac's "Rough Cut" TV show will be airing on UK TV from the 11th Jan 2013.

The first show of six is being aired on Virgin Ch 243 PBS America at 0840. I believe it is SKY Ch 166??

Not seen it before but a quick Youtube search suggests the show may be a crass attempt by US broadcasters at filling the void left by Norm Abraham. This new guy seems all sun tan and teeth but I'll record it anyway.

For those that prefer UK based TV shows there is of course the 10 year old re re re re run of "Woodwokrs" by the guy who works from a hangar making plate and spice racks from spruce.

Just thought I would let you know.

i saw some "rough cut" last year sometime. To be honest, i thought it was quite watchable, once you got over the presenters style. Certainly had more useful tips than Norm and he used some handtools too IIRC!

Yes I saw the season as it aired on CBS I think last year. Its ok, little like Norm. He visits a place then makes some furniture. No brad nailers in sight. His presentation style is still an acquired taste. You can still see all his old stuff he did on his video blog here:

http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/content ... wt/videos/

I happen to know that we may be getting our own British answer to the wood whisperer soon. Quite looking forward to it.

Tommy's show is kind of ...frantic. Especially the early ones. The later ones are somewhat calmer. I have seen him give a demo in person and he's pretty much the same way. His style of woodworking is different from mine, so I'm not attracted to many of his projects. On the other hand, unlike Norm, he is much more likely to pull out a hand tool when it is quicker or more appropriate to use than a power tool. An example would be cleaning up a board edge with a hand plane rather than an edge sander.

Kirk

maltrout512":2tlhdcuw said:
Chems":2tlhdcuw said:
I happen to know that we may be getting our own British answer to the wood whisperer soon. Quite looking forward to it.

Would you happen to share :)

Its not really my news to share. But I know its probably coming soon. Its going to be good I think to see a professional brit video blogging projects. I'll be sure to post up links here when/if it does happen.

I recorded the show and have just watched it.

In the absence of any new NYWs it was reasonable, although for anyone hoping to see exactly how to carry out his proceedures it was a bit lacking in "see-how-to-do-it" detail. Perhaps I'm a bit too used to Norm or David Free?

In any case, I think I may be missing something here, but at one point he deliberately created a less-than-perfect edge on 2 of the Walnut boards that he was about to glue up. (I guess he did the same with all the boards.) He wanted to create a 'spring joint' between the boards, so he created a gap in the middle of where the boards would be butted together and glued up.

Maybe I've been doing it all wrong when I try to get mating edges to be as straight and tight-fitting as possible. It just seems natural (and sensible?) to work with the timber and not try to force it to do something that its' natural tendencies would make it want to do . . .
. . . but I'm sitting here fully prepared to be re-educated. Can anyone explain the 'benefits' of trying to mate edges that want to spring apart ???

Timberfreak":2woh33wv said:

In the absence of any new NYWs it was reasonable, although for anyone hoping to see exactly how to carry out his proceedures it was a bit lacking in "see-how-to-do-it" detail. Perhaps I'm a bit too used to Norm or David Free?

In any case, I think I may be missing something here, but at one point he deliberately created a less-than-perfect edge on 2 of the Walnut boards that he was about to glue up. (I guess he did the same with all the boards.) He wanted to create a 'spring joint' between the boards, so he created a gap in the middle of where the boards would be butted together and glued up.

Maybe I've been doing it all wrong when I try to get mating edges to be as straight and tight-fitting as possible. It just seems natural (and sensible?) to work with the timber and not try to force it to do something that its' natural tendencies would make it want to do . . .
. . . but I'm sitting here fully prepared to be re-educated. Can anyone explain the 'benefits' of trying to mate edges that want to spring apart ???

If I've got the reasoning correct its because the ends dry out and shrink faster than the middle, so the ends are pushed together in a spring joint to counteract this? It's basically to keep the ends from separating over time. I think...

I thought it was so one clamp across the middle could be used and the 'spring' would hold the ends tight? Less clamps needed and a tight joint.

I might be wrong but that's how it was explained to me.

The gap is only meant to be a few shavings width - not enough to really cause any undue stresses.

Joecobbs":3h5rjvhc said:
Timberfreak":3h5rjvhc said:

If I've got the reasoning correct its because the ends dry out and shrink faster than the middle, so the ends are pushed together in a spring joint to counteract this? It's basically to keep the ends from separating over time. I think...

You are correct joe. I remember a few years back either David savage or David charlesworth saying they do that exact thing for that reason :)

Only watched the show today, entertaining, worth watching next show I reckon. I hope he tries something more challenging next time out.

Timberfreak":law20g2b said:
... at one point he deliberately created a less-than-perfect edge on 2 of the Walnut boards that he was about to glue up. (I guess he did the same with all the boards.) He wanted to create a 'spring joint' between the boards.

... Can anyone explain the 'benefits' of trying to mate edges that want to spring apart ???
Here's a link to a discussion at my website on edge joinery, and a few other considerations to think about when making and working with edge joined solid wood panels, Slainte:
http://www.richardjonesfurniture.com/Ar ... e-ups.html

Thanks for your replies - :D - I now consider myself re-educated.

I've always tried to achieve 'perfect' (or as perfect as I can manage) edges and have, for the most part, had reasonably acceptable results. I have to say that I've never encountered the option of sprung joints previously and as it's taken me some time to become comfortable with my present system I think I'll be sticking with that for the meantime.

Back