Roof Rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£20 delivery charge seems to me to be a no-brainer. Why struggle? A roofrack is (a) going to cost more and (b) in your case won't hack it. Hiring a man with a van is going to set you back much more that £20. Even hiring a van will most likely cost more. To be honest, £20 is cheap.

I've had a roofrack for the previous car (Audi 80 saloon) and 75kg was about the limit. The spacing on the bars wouldn't have been a great deal more than on a golf and I was easily able to transport 7"x3"s upto 16' long without any issues.

I always use ratchet straps and if the item is flimsy'ish - I'll strap a 16' aluminium ladder to the bars and then strapped the timber to that.

The bars on the current car (A4 estate) are the alumium ones and are rated to 75kg. Again I was able to transport 8"x4" (at 4.8m) long from the sawmill. Admittedly it was only about 2 miles away and I was in a rush and put up with the 3 trips. However they aren't centered over the car so 4.8m is the absolute max.

Ordinarily I would have the timber delivered - but sometimes planning cockups mean beggars can't be choosers.

I've never transported sheet goods tho - as has been pointed out due to them wanting to lift off. Would be like driving with a big sail on the top. Having said that for the worktops there should be less tendency to flex than say an 8"x4" sheet of mdf, especially if they are around 3m long.

DustyDave":3qkd18eb said:
Hi WobblyClogs,

give me a pm with your where you want to get the worktop from and to. Also let me know when you want some help (if you want some help) I've got a small van (vauxhall combo) with roof bars and would be happy to help in return for a beer or two.

I've put 12ft lengths of timber on roof bars before. As long as you keep the speed down there should be no problems.

Dave

Top man - i was going to make the same offer ( I have a choice of a focus estate or works D22 pick up) but "the powers that be" tell me that gloucester is too far away and that i have enough to do round here

Many thanks for the offers of help with transport, much appreciated.

I sent SWMBO a link to the 2m stuff at Wickes and apparently that should do nicely so assuming it all goes well tonight and it's as pleasing to the eye in real life as it is in the tiny photo they supply it will be time to load up the boot and break out the router (or maybe not as I put my back out this morning :( ).

Think I'll get a roof rack at some point and see how it goes. Would love an old estate to move stuff about in but I can't see me winning that argument.

wobblycogs":1pj9328d said:
Many thanks for the offers of help with transport, much appreciated.

I sent SWMBO a link to the 2m stuff at Wickes and apparently that should do nicely so assuming it all goes well tonight and it's as pleasing to the eye in real life as it is in the tiny photo they supply it will be time to load up the boot and break out the router (or maybe not as I put my back out this morning :( ).

Think I'll get a roof rack at some point and see how it goes. Would love an old estate to move stuff about in but I can't see me winning that argument.

After fafffing about with generic ones - I bought a genuine set of Audi bars this time round. It also helps having a trade account with VAG.

So if you fancy a set of genuine bars\roof rack - let me know & I'll let you know what the trade price is.

Be very very careful with sheet material on roof racks. They slip and slide and refuse to stay put. My 4x4 has a Thule roof rack and I loaded three 8x4 sheets of shuttering ply. All strapped down securely - or so I thought - i'd only gone round a few corners before I realised the whole lot was slipping and a sliding. I gingerly drove back to Travis and got them to deliver it.

Latest posts

Back