Ron Paulk work bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made one and then cut it up and used the ply for other projects.
I thought it looked like a good idea at the time but now I just use a sheet of 18mm MDF resting on six stanley plastic sawhorses.
This gets used on every job and is a good bench for tracksawing. I plonk the chop saw on it when needed and store the rails underneath. The piece of MDF stays in the van (with the saw horses) and lasts about 5 jobs. The it conveniently self destructs into manageable chunks that fit into rubble sacks and then into a clients wheelie bin :D

I've been pondering making one. It does look useful etc but I don't have the space to store a pair of 2'x8' boxes and horses.
I can store something like 3'x6' of a box unit but it would be a pig to get out each time.

The one thing I regret doing is breaking up the old dining table we had. I made a new one just before Christmas and then relegated the old one which was a swivel/openable ex army thing, to the garden but it formed a perfect bench being the right height and size to allow full sheets to overhang enough for cutting etc. Only killer there again was storage.

I'm now thinking the above idea of a sheet on several saw horses would be ideal and completely manageable for home storage.

Zeddedhed":2dhd04rd said:
I made one and then cut it up and used the ply for other projects.
I thought it looked like a good idea at the time but now I just use a sheet of 18mm MDF resting on six stanley plastic sawhorses.
This gets used on every job and is a good bench for tracksawing. I plonk the chop saw on it when needed and store the rails underneath. The piece of MDF stays in the van (with the saw horses) and lasts about 5 jobs. The it conveniently self destructs into manageable chunks that fit into rubble sacks and then into a clients wheelie bin :D

Zed...

If you tried that in Walsall, the bin men wouldn't take the MDF away. They say it isn't recyclable, nor is it to be put in the refuse, destined for landfill, because of it's chemical make-up I guess.

I am supposed to take all my offcuts to the refuse centre, where the stuff is kept for special disposal! (Probably to the tip for use as landfill!) :roll:

But the point is, if you filled my wheelie bin with MDF, I'd be lumbered with a problem!"
So if you ever do some work for me, please consult if you want to dispose of the offcuts! :lol:

John

I've been watching his videos and I like what he does with ply but I've found a 25mm (18mm lighter & easier to carry if you're on the move) 5' x 3' bit of MR MDF is a good cheap stable surface on saw horses as Zeddedhed said. I do like the idea of saving space by having a router built in as he does with his total workstation.

The 'Zed Bench' in all it's glory (?)

Total time to erect - less than a minute.
Total time to dismantle - less than less than a minute.

If anyone wants the plans......

2015-08-12 09.11.34.jpg

2015-08-12 09.14.42.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-08-12 09.11.34.jpg
    2015-08-12 09.11.34.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 2015-08-12 09.14.42.jpg
    2015-08-12 09.14.42.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 246
Zeddedhed":3kyjp660 said:
The 'Zed Bench' in all it's glory (?)

Total time to erect - less than a minute.
Total time to dismantle - less than less than a minute.

If anyone wants the plans......
]

I'll have the plans please, are they in Sketchup? :deer

I never thought the Paulk bench was practical. You would have to be on a dry site with lots of space....like the typical American 2 car garage, seldom found over here and unlikely that you'd be able to set up shop in it.

Ah well the typical American car used to take up far more space than a British vehicle I guess! Much. much, more! Ergo a two-car garage wouldn't fit on the whole of my house footprint! :D

Back