Robs New Workshop - The Base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratkinsonuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, following on from my musings over how to get started (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8684), I've now finally got my new shed out of the ground.

Setting Out

P5180012.jpg

The footings are dug, and concrete poured

P5240028.jpg

An inspection by SWMBO

P5240031.jpg

And the blocks go in

P5280040.jpg

People keep looking at me funny when I say it's not really big enough

P5280047.jpg

So, £1100 quid lighter and an aching back, I'm now moving on to the floor and walls (but not before a brief visit to Germany :).

A question - does anyone have the Tommy Walsh Ultimate Workshop on tape/DVD? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for the scarf joint he used to join the Ridge Beam timbers together?

Cheers, Rob.

:shock:
Its gonna be Nice!

Good luck with the rest of the build. Is this youre first workshop or a replacement/Bigger one?

Cheers
Lee.

Very nice - and don't worry,we all understand "not really big enough" syndrome :lol:
I built an extension onto my shed about 18 months ago,to use as a workshop.It was more than big enough for the lathe I wanted,with space for a bandsaw and plenty of racking.
Now,I wish I'd built it twice as big :shock:
The table saw and router table have to live in the garage,and the planer thicknesser is still in the kitchen.

Hope you are putting plenty of sockets in - again,you can never have too many.
Don't have Tommy's Ultimate Workshop,but as i remember,the scarf joint was castellated.

Good luck with it all,and please keep us updated.

Andrew

I'm currently in a Garage attached to the house, so loads of dust and noise. SWMBO gave me the ultimatum to build my new shed this summer or not at all...

I've already got an electric circuit running to the existing shed (you can see the armoured cable running over the wall in the photos). Hopefully, the core is enough to take 60amps, which I reckon will be about right for powering the workshop and the rest of the garden.

The workshop started out at 24'8" x 12' (extra 8" to allow for the 4x2 stud work).

Then SWMBO stepped in! Even though I'd been discussing the project with her for over 2 years, showing her where it'd be, etc, once it got laid out she went into one. In the end, I ended up trimming a couple of feet off, so it's now 22'4" x 12'.

Unfortunately, the builders used some 'odd' methods to square the thing up, so one of the long sides is 1.5" shorter.

I can't wait to get back from Germany and start the framing, especially when we win every game in our group ;)

Rob.

Back