River coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamW

Reaction score
A few pics of a recent river coffee table for a client that wanted a design a "Greg Klassen" style. I'm not sure I achieved that but I was happy with the final result and it was a nice project to get. The photos are mostly later on in the build (apologies for missing the early stages) legs in sipo jointed with Domino floating tenons, top is 40mm thick European oak with a black tinted MDF spacer, the top was bolted to the legs with a 50mm channel to allow for wood movement. 10mm tempered glass.

Attachments

• River Coffee table (1).png
    River Coffee table (1).png
    190.7 KB · Views: 2,259
  • River Coffee table (4).png
    River Coffee table (4).png
    188.6 KB · Views: 2,259
  • River Coffee table (5).png
    River Coffee table (5).png
    161.3 KB · Views: 2,259
  • River Coffee table (6).png
    River Coffee table (6).png
    188.5 KB · Views: 2,259
Last set of photos near completion, finishing detail, oiling & making sure the glass fits!

Attachments

• River Coffee table (7).png
    River Coffee table (7).png
    177.9 KB · Views: 2,254
  • River Coffee table (13).png
    River Coffee table (13).png
    189.8 KB · Views: 2,254
  • River Coffee table (12).png
    River Coffee table (12).png
    170.5 KB · Views: 2,254
  • River Coffee table (10).png
    River Coffee table (10).png
    152.7 KB · Views: 2,254
  • River Coffee table (9).png
    River Coffee table (9).png
    171 KB · Views: 2,254
That's really nice. Any problems getting glass cut to such an irregular shape?

I wasn't confident enough to cut & finish the glass myself so I had my supplier do this based on the template in 10mm white melamine. The design I used with bolts in 50mm long channels meant that I had a little bit of "play" when installing the glass so I could put it in place then slide the two oak panels together the last few millimetres before tightening the bolts underneath.

Attachments

• River Coffee table (8).png
    River Coffee table (8).png
    180.2 KB · Views: 2,052
Beautiful, love it. One small criticism, I would've cleaned up the natural edge a bit more on the oak, it looks a little bit dirty...

I really like that - I'm going to save the idea for some (probably very far) future project, although... I do have 2 live edge slabs of salvaged wood right stored right now... and some leftover acrylic kindly donated by Andy T.

I quite like the more natural live edge, too clean and it would detract from the theme IMHO. Other option would be to give a punchy colour instead.

Thanks for the nice comments, much appreciated. I did the initial design in SketchUp, happy to send the file to any of you who use the software?
Sam

Back