Ripples

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I made this from Beech and it measures 1 1/4" by 10 1/2". I am not sure what come over me but I was taking material from the centre and the ripples just appeared honest gov they were there all the time.
It was one of those moments that I thought I would try something different. Not sure if it works but the wife loves it so it can't be that bad, but there is no understanding a women's thinking.

Finished with the chestnut system I liked the glossy look as if it was ripples on water

C & C welcome and thought on the design

2014-07-15001005_zps93c1a50e.jpg

2014-07-15001007_zpsd219bd59.jpg

2014-07-15001004_zpsa33defb6.jpg

Absolutely delightful Dal.

The wood just sings. So simple and yet speaks volumes because of the lake like quality. Really nice. I think without the buffing system you would never had got that to work because the reflective shine is the bit which gives the ripples water like credibility. Nice arty piece. Get that to a gallery in Chelsea and you're looking at 2 grand :)

Excellent stuff Dalboy, would have made a nice entry for the challenge this month! :) (as would the Gorse sticks I realised after I posted them up! (homer) )

Thanks all this is just one of those things that was not planed.

KimG":3h8ku0gw said:
Excellent stuff Dalboy, would have made a nice entry for the challenge this month! :) (as would the Gorse sticks I realised after I posted them up! (homer) )

Maybe should have kept it but I am half way through the piece for the challenge.

Dal,
That is very nice, it looks like those "frozen" pictures you get when something has been dropped into a liquid and a droplet is suspended over the ripples.
Nice piece of wood as well.

Something that beautiful should be in a gallery!

And as for the comment that Bob made about 2 grand, well there was an unmade bed that sold recently for substantially more than 2 grand! so its gotta be worth a try no?

Beautiful piece of art

Andy

Funny to mention one of those high speed droplet photos... Here's one I prepared earlier (before the turn :wink: of the year).

wood splash postable picture.jpg

Made of a odd bit of meranti shelving, beech from the firewood pile. Birch ball I had kicking around from a kids toy on a blackened pin. Did it for learning really, as only just started with this turning lark. Meant as a deco piece for a window shelf (hence the rectangular shape) or coffee table item . I thought also there was a tension between the rctangular shape and the circular ripples that did something.

Regrettably I am too old for the Turner Prize (max age 50) as I could otherwise sell off my garage and loft for millions.....

Eric

Attachments

• wood splash postable picture.jpg
    wood splash postable picture.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 943
Back