Rip-off Brittain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a football fan. I'm passionate about Arsenal. I'll be glued to the box in a few minutes to see them (hopefully) win. What I won't do is part with a single penny of my money to support the overpaid primadonnas. But, football prices are high (tickets and merchandise) because for some people it's worth it and they are happy to pay it, and nobody has the right to ridicule those people. I'm seeing the match tonight as it's on terrestrial TV, not a pay channel. And before anybody starts splitting hairs, yes I do pay for a license, so yes I am paying to see the football, if that's the way you want to see it.

Richard, I hope you Grandson wears his Southampton shirt with pride........ even though we thumped them 2-0 at the weekend!

doorframe":1qq85g4i said:
I'm a football fan. I'm passionate about Arsenal. I'll be glued to the box in a few minutes to see them (hopefully) win. What I won't do is part with a single penny of my money to support the overpaid primadonnas. But, football prices are high (tickets and merchandise) because for some people it's worth it and they are happy to pay it, and nobody has the right to ridicule those people. I'm seeing the match tonight as it's on terrestrial TV, not a pay channel. And before anybody starts splitting hairs, yes I do pay for a license, so yes I am paying to see the football, if that's the way you want to see it.

Richard, I hope you Grandson wears his Southampton shirt with pride........ even though we thumped them 2-0 at the weekend!

Totally agree with everything you said.

Cheers

Mike

I'm a bike race fan. The British Superbike championship is the football Premiership of British motorcycling and recognised internationally as the best domestic championship in the world.
The riders are almost all amateurs. It was recently revealed that all but 6 have full time jobs. They have to raise between £100,000 and £200,000 in sponsorship themselves and take it along when asking a team for a ride. The bikes are worth approaching £80,000 and the teams employ paid mechanics. The riders are usually riding with a broken bone or 2 by the end of each season. They risk their lives and travel at approaching 180mph every lap and entertain crowds of up to 30,000. Recently a youngster called Marc Marquez won the world championship. 2 Rounds from the end he dislocated a shoulder in warm up on race day. It was put back, he had a pain injection and finished 2nd in the race. That's far from out of the ordinary.
I struggle to balance this out with the £20,000 per week soccer players who find it acceptable to pretend to fall and cheat blatantly. Yes there are over-priced team shirts and signed prints at every race event, but the riders get zero from them. It makes the whole football spectacle look farcical to me.

Mike.C":13joh4ji said:
Totally agree with everything you said...
+1 - apart from the Arsenal bit, obviously ;) And for the record, anyone watching the weekends Merseyside derby and calling it boring needs a level of professional help far beyond that which is available here.

Cheers, Pete

Grayorm":1n8j9317 said:
I'm a bike race fan. The British Superbike championship is the football Premiership of British motorcycling and recognised internationally as the best domestic championship in the world.
The riders are almost all amateurs. It was recently revealed that all but 6 have full time jobs. They have to raise between £100,000 and £200,000 in sponsorship themselves and take it along when asking a team for a ride. The bikes are worth approaching £80,000 and the teams employ paid mechanics. The riders are usually riding with a broken bone or 2 by the end of each season. They risk their lives and travel at approaching 180mph every lap and entertain crowds of up to 30,000. Recently a youngster called Marc Marquez won the world championship. 2 Rounds from the end he dislocated a shoulder in warm up on race day. It was put back, he had a pain injection and finished 2nd in the race. That's far from out of the ordinary.
I struggle to balance this out with the £20,000 per week soccer players who find it acceptable to pretend to fall and cheat blatantly. Yes there are over-priced team shirts and signed prints at every race event, but the riders get zero from them. It makes the whole football spectacle look farcical to me.

Again I agree BSB riders should be paid for the huge risks they take. On the other hand the top MotoGP or World Superbike riders can earn millions a year from team wages and sponsorship.

By the way most top british football clubs will fine their players who fall and cheat (professional foul) because unlike Europe we want to stop it.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":gknkfl08 said:
Grayorm":gknkfl08 said:

Again I agree BSB riders should be paid for the huge risks they take. On the other hand the top MotoGP or World Superbike riders can earn millions a year from team wages and sponsorship.

Cheers

Mike

It's a tiny minority Mike if you take into account the other domestic championships around the world. Valentino Rossi is one of the highest paid sportsmen in the world, but there's a vast void. It's extremely unfair given that motorcycle racing is a gazzilion times more exciting than soccer!! :mrgreen:

thomvic":10ijo8ji said:
whiskywill":10ijo8ji said:
So why would a seemingly intelligent and well rounded boy want a football shirt? :?

You are seemingly not intelligent enough to understand so I won't bother to explain.

Richard

I thought personal insults were frowned upon on this forum.

thomvic":1jg76llt said:
whiskywill":1jg76llt said:
So why would a seemingly intelligent and well rounded boy want a football shirt? :?

You are seemingly not intelligent enough to understand so I won't bother to explain.

Richard

That is a bit harsh for what was obviously a joke, and (perhaps less obviously) from a rugby fan.

marcros":17qfjkuy said:
thomvic":17qfjkuy said:
whiskywill":17qfjkuy said:

Richard

That is a bit harsh for what was obviously a joke, and (perhaps less obviously) from a rugby fan.

I didn't read it as a joke but if that is what it was then I apologise.

Richard

I think I'd react the same if someone made a sarcastic comment about my grand child as a joke or not.

Latest posts

Back