ring holders for a jewelry box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently making a small jewelry box and wanted to put some ring holders in that I have seen in a few other peoples projects. I believe these are shaped sponge covered with material but Im not sure.

I wondered if anyone could tell me how best to make these, possibly with a wip if anyone has one?

Any help would be great

Thank you

i dont have a wip, but when i made them, I cut a piece of bath sponge- any suitable foam type stuff would do- into 2 rod shaped pieces, then just covered them in pigskin with contact adhesive. it was about 3/4" diameter IIRC. Then put them in the box so they are just touching and test the fit before contact adhesive-ing them down. I used a spray adhesive, probably wouldn't go for that next time due to mess and overspray everywhere!

try to get as smooth a rod shape as possible, mine was a bit octagonal, but looked alright. have a play when covering it before gluing, to see where you need to remove a bit of overlapping material. It is easiest if you can disguise the ends by having the divider tight up to each end, it is easier than trying to get a perfect finish.

I get the little blocks of white sponge which they sell for cleaning without detergents 'Magic Eraser' is a JML one, it is quite stiff and can be cut very very easily and in straight lines with a sharp knife, I cut circular tubes from these (with a scalpel) the same length as the compartment they are to fit, strips of covering (in my case I now use pigskin, thanks Marcross, e-bay) a slight fraction longer longer and just enough to encircle the tube with an overlap for glue, this is wrapped tightly around the sponge tube and glued at the overlap.

The compartment is measured to see how many tubes it will take and then I add one because when wrapped they will reduce in size, the best thing would be to experiment and practice with some waste first.

The tubes are just pushed into the compartment and they hold themselves in.

I hope this gets you started, once you do a couple you will develop your own techniques

Andy

Sues box2.jpg

Sues box.jpg

Attachments

• Sues box2.jpg
    Sues box2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Sues box.jpg
    Sues box.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 64
Back