Rick's workshop in progress...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cusimar9

Established Member
Reaction score
So It's been a busy year since we moved in January and the workshop is finally starting to come together. This is my first workshop so I'm learning as I go and making investments as and when I'm able to. This is a very expensive game!

There was a toilet in here up until a few weeks ago, I had it knocked down and it's incredible how much space it's given up. As a treat I thought I'd buy a sliding mitre saw and make a table to go with it.

I can't be bothered with fancy joinery in here so you'll have to excuse the back to basics approach.

15705674792_271f19f2dd_b.jpg

15680359816_c4306a267b_b.jpg

15518685398_5cce548234_b.jpg

My slightly improved Ryobi table saw. It was rubbish but with a new blade, a custom fence and an outfeed table it's actually starting to become useful
15084125824_488759a4d2_b.jpg

My bench, with the top made form recycled roof timbers. It's solid but more often than not it's covered in rubbish which means it doesn't get used as much as it should
15518206889_cbac59d7ca_b.jpg

15702167231_2bc8d03a53_b.jpg

I thought I'd try and store some wood up in the roof void and it's amazing how much wood will actually sit up there. It's been there about 2 weeks now so it's not in immediate danger of collapse!
15680339566_e6bb0ffaa1_b.jpg

15519246510_458b79c0a6_b.jpg

This is the next area in serious need of a rethink. The gardening gear needs to live here but the cupboards and worktop don't use the space very well. Not sure whether to keep them, have shelves only or some shelf / cabinet combination. Suggestions welcome!
15084729613_22060cfc1f_b.jpg

Looks like a nice workspace, mine is a complete mess, despite having the luxury of more room.
Tell me more about the rip fence on your saw table, I have an older version of the same saw and the standard rip fence is, to put it politely, a challenge to get decent results with.

bodge":3q7y6i3n said:
Looks like a nice workspace, mine is a complete mess, despite having the luxury of more room.
Tell me more about the rip fence on your saw table, I have an older version of the same saw and the standard rip fence is, to put it politely, a challenge to get decent results with.

Thanks Bodge :)

My main gripes with the original rip fence are that it's a) too short and b) not adjustable. I had some scrap wood lying around and I thought before I spend 3 hours making a biesemeyer style fence I'll just attach this and see if it works any better. Used some washer shims to straighten it and figured I'd just see how it goes. So far the results have been quite good but it is just a temporary measure. There is still some flex on the fence but it might be on the clamp rather than the fence itself (which is 20mm thick ash). Next time I need to rip something very accurately I might work on an upgrade.

I must be inspired by the comments as I've already ripped out the old cupboards! :)

DiscoStu":1967tvbk said:
Looks great. Nice to see another ryobi fan.

They're solid tools in my opinion. The tablesaw was a bit poor out the box but easy enough to improve, but the rest of the range has been outstanding (circular saw and drills / drivers)

Don't think much to the Ryobi screwdriver bits mind!

Next tools on the list are a bandsaw, drill press and maybe even a router table. Oh and a planer thicknesser... anyone got £500 spare?

cusimar9":29u15lci said:
Thanks Bodge :)

My main gripes with the original rip fence are that it's a) too short and b) not adjustable. I had some scrap wood lying around and I thought before I spend 3 hours making a biesemeyer style fence I'll just attach this and see if it works any better. Used some washer shims to straighten it and figured I'd just see how it goes. So far the results have been quite good but it is just a temporary measure. There is still some flex on the fence but it might be on the clamp rather than the fence itself (which is 20mm thick ash). Next time I need to rip something very accurately I might work on an upgrade.

Thanks for your input duder. I really must get around to doing something with mine, I'm just not sure what at the moment. Biesemeyer style would be the obvious choice, but I'm just not sure how to make it work on the Ryobi.

I think the Ryobi impact driver is brilliant. The only think I've found a little poor is the Jigsaw but they've just replaced that model. I've got most of their 18v stuff. I use the impact bits so haven't had any problems with them.

Wera bits all the way for me, they're excellent. The impact driver is absolutely brilliant, thought it takes a little self control to stop driving screws through your workpiece rather than just into them :)

Back