Review - Dakota heavy duty bar clamps 48" Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoatyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Despite loads of opinions around I found it really difficult to decide which clamps I should buy - I ended up buying the six pack of Dakotas without actually knowing what I was going to get.

so this is what you get:

Aluminium bar 1.7mm thick ali folded to a U with another fold at the open top of the U
4592377947_92debefca2.jpg

little pressed in divots for the tail mechanism to engage
4592980436_7e3c24cf27.jpg

like this - The little flickything feels a bit insubstantial but makes a nice ratchetty clicking sound as you slide it up the bar
4592358947_6d4c76ee80.jpg

clamp heads and tails are cast alloy (not iron as per web site) and are hollow - covered over with a nasty plastic red thing stuck on with evo stick-a-like
4592994088_b22a44d678.jpg

the actual windy part is iron and is held onto bar with little pin - I reckon you'd have to screw quite hard to deform that but wouldn't be surprised if people do. the moveable bit is held onto the thread with a little screw that engages in the recess just back from the end of the thread - not very strong but doesn't take any pressure - just stops it falling off.
4592372755_1cc3bc04ec.jpg

underneath view showing how the end piece fits inside the U ali bar
4592982790_8275d3a8b5.jpg

and comparison to record M130 clamp heads - which don't appear much more 'chunky' but so very definately are.
4592975532_743c43156a.jpg

clamping capacity 42.5"
4592380137_7b43e94a2b.jpg

No piccy of this but the heads do not sit at 90degrees when clamped - not far off but not 90 - my records also don't sit at 90 when I tighten them

And they do have a lifetime guarantee against manufacturing defects

so - do I like them? no
do I dislike them? no
would I recommend them? no
would I buy more of them? no
am I going to complain? no
do I feel I got a good deal? no

Put simply they are as cheaply made as it's possible to make something as a result of which you get six clamps for £50 delivered the next day - which was what I needed.

Hope that's of some use to someone - cheers - Pete

They look similar to my sash clamps except for the heads. Under pressure the divits buckle in and the head pivots on the single screw. Useless for all but light clamping, which is what sash clamps are for.

I cant believe,Tom has not added his comments to this,given his love of anything Dakota. :lol:

Mark.

I got a couple of these from Toolstaion because I needed something urgently on site and they had run out of their 'expert' sash clamps.

As has been mentioned they are useless for clamping tightly, but i find them very useful for some things as they automatically go to the right setting.

Back