removing coving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
easily done in the dinning room as i ripped the whole ceiling down but i would like to remove the coving from the entrance hall and lounge.

The fitter must have been paid by the rate of adhesive used as it does not come off easily. I've looked at the Fein Multimaster but i want a cheap option. Only thing i can think off at the moment, is using a flush cut saw around the perimeter on the ceiling and wall joint.

Anyone know and easier way.

it has to be removed, i hate the stuff :x

LyNx":1zxe8ccf said:
I've looked at the Fein Multimaster but i want a cheap option.

Expense is relative :wink: I can virtually guarantee that after you've bought the Fein and discovered just how versatile it is, you'll be wishing you had one sooner! True...blades are a bit expensive.

To date I've used mine for:

trimming skirting board to allow solid oak floor to slide under
trimming door jambs and door frames in situ.
allowing me to escape :oops:
cutting through that last bit of laminated worktop that you can't get the jigsaw into
removing the grotty grout in our shower prior to regrouting
profile sanding.......

Hi Andy
I recently removed coving from a bedroom using a Bosch percussion drill with a cold chisel attachment. You need a machine with a rotary stop for this to work but it made lighter work of it. My coving had been applied to an old ceiling with a few coats of paint and scratched up to give a key for the adhesive, if it had been stuck to fresh plasterboard I'm not sure it would have come away so cleanly.
Regards
Soapy

Steam and a wide scraper :?: I don't think cove adhesive is waterproof, and concentrated steam is amazing at loosening all kinds of adhesives/finishes even sometimes waterproof ones. I suppose it depends on how sound your ceiling is, but whatever course you take, I think some ceiling repair will be in order.

Brad

I had cause to get quotes for repairing a ceiling and two different ceiling contractors said they would remove the coving using an angle grinder...!

You might try that but I think it would be just a little dusty.

best of luck with whatever you decide

regards

Brian

Back