removing black marks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andriy

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't posted here for a while but I have a new question about some yellow balau decking I have just laid. When I was cutting the metal support beam with a grinder sparks fell on the wood that was lying in a pile nearby and left black marks (still learning). Do any of you have any tips on getting rid of these?

Thanks!

Andriy

A saturated solution of oxalc acid might do the trick.

I understand tha toxalic acid is a poison with irreversible action on the kidneys.

Can't help with the marks. But can I suggest you be very comprehensive when finishing the Yellow Balau. I laid this deck at my previous house and it changes colour VERY quickly. You need to get a good finish on it pronto and then a follow up finish after about 6 weeks.

How much left over timber have you got?

Thanks for the oxalic acid tip.

As to the question of leftovers I have 6 lengths of 1.4m and some ms of handrail offcuts but not sure yet if I'll make something else with it - lovely wood to work with.

Andriy

Thanks so much for all who recommended using oxalic acid to remove scorch marks from wood. It worked a treat.

cheers
Andriy

Back