removing a sticky finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
The mantelpiece in our new house has a very sticky finish and has been like this for the 6 weeks we have been here without any sign of it becoming hard. The wood was described to us as being oak.

This rag is being held up by the tackiness of the finish.
DSCN5291.jpg

White spirits has no effect and meths seems to make it even more sticky.

Any ideas what the finish may be and how I can remove it?

thanks

Andy

Andy,

No real idea but I'd guess at a part cured linseed oil or possibly a part cured poly finish. I'd be tempted just to use Nitromors on it - or whatever you can get in France that strips paint. You'll have to refinish it but I guess that won't bother you.

Chris,
I'm sure I can find paint stripper here. I hate using the stuff though but I guess if all else fails.

The existing finish is also quite dark for our taste so if I can strip back to a more natural unstained oak we would be happy.

Andy

paint stripper is décapant in french - see I'm full of useful info :lol:

Bon chance !

Steve

Not wanting to use paint stripper in a newly decorated room, ( I know this should have been the first job :oops: but someone offered to do the paperhanging for me at short notice so was caught out)

There was a little piece of sellotape stuck the the front of the mantelpiece and when I removed it it pulled the finish, stickiness et all, with it. So I tried some strong Duck Tape like stuff as well as some cheap sellotape with reasonable results, most of the finish is coming off. The cheap sellotape worked best.

This is a photo before the tape was removed
DSCN5300.jpg

I tried to take an after shot but it does not look any different to the original post so you will have to believe me that the tape pulled off the sticky.

When I can get to a DIY shed I might just try and find some peel-able decapant - thanks Steve. but I'd be a a lot happy using sticky tape indoors.

I was in fact a few seconds away from pulling the whole mantelpiece off the wall and treating into a paint strip outside but I was frightened that I might not get it back on again. It only appears to be held on by gravity but 3.5 meters of 5" x7" oak is probably more than I can handle

Is there an usual/standard finish for a wooden mantelpiece? There is a cast iron inset stove in the fireplace that I told throws out a considerable amount of heat.

Andy

Latest posts

Back