Remote stop/start and speed control for Jet 1642 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Jet 1642 lathe which has a sliding but not rotating headstock. It can be slid to the very end of the lathe bed, such that pieces which would normally snag the lathe bed can be turned (e.g. large pieces or odd shapes). However, in my tiny workshop I cannot get past the lathe if it has a piece on it to start or stop the lathe or to adjust the speed.

Ideally a wired remote would be the best solution for this, but I have no knowledge of electronics or the type of switching currently in the headstock. A second best solution would be an emergency stop/start only where I would be able to reach past the piece being turned once it was stationary to adjust the speed (although I would not know by how much I had changed the speed until that lathe was running again).

Any thoughts or (sensible) suggestions?

You could buy a small plastic electrical box, and remove the existing start/stop buttons and install in the box. Then a cable from the box back to the head unit, you would not need to know much about the electrics just to lengthen the cables already in place. magnets on the back of the box and now you can place it anywhere.

I haven't long written on another thread what I did with mine. It doesn't solve all your problems but it's easy and cheap in the short term - just bring your power in through a switched cable outlet on the end of the bench, then on to the headstock. At least you can switch it off quickly if needed.

phil.p":18lzprtq said:
I haven't long written on another thread what I did with mine. It doesn't solve all your problems but it's easy and cheap in the short term - just bring your power in through a switched cable outlet on the end of the bench, then on to the headstock. At least you can switch it off quickly if needed.

Can you give me a link to your thread?

TIA

It wasn't my thread and it wasn't much more than I've told you, really. I have two switched cable outlets, one right at the tailstock end and one on the middle of the front. The incoming power lead goes to the end first, then the front, then on the the NVR. It just allows me to turn the thing off quickly if long hole boring or working with the head turned, it's purely a convenient (cheap) safety measure. :D

Back