Record table saw and maybe an old school DW RSA...i'm scared

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchard

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening!
I bulk bought some kiit last week, a Multico lathe, drill, a DW 125 rsa, and a Record RSTS10 1.1KW table saw. All very good condition, but here's the snag--after doing a lot of research on table saws(having never used one), I'm scared to turn it on (and hence haven't fine tuned yet) for fear of kickbacks.
Should I get a grip, or sell them ? Not certain about the RSA, because it's slightly different, but I think I might try to sell the TS to put towards a BS maybe. I know, wuss, maybe I'm destined for handtools all the way...
Anyone have any idea what ball-park price I should be looking at for the rsa and/or ts on Ebay please?
Thanks in advance for any advice :)
Cheers
Nick

Frankly, I'd be more afraid of the RAS than the table saw, never liked those...

Whilst the risk of kickback is real, good sense and technique, as with any tool, is the key to safe usage. Just don't read any American magazines or books on how to use them..

Hahaha--maybe it's because I've just sawn legs for housing the RAS ;)
Both machines are in fantastic condition, it's just there are a lot of variables that I need to be aware of with a TS/RAS that, as a newbie, I'm unaware, and may not anticipate. I don't think I'll be ripping lots of sheet, so maybe a bandsaw's the way to go for me.
Thanks WB :)

If you've bought them for a good price, hang on to them, get them fettled properly and enjoy high quality cuts!
I assume you mean a DW RAS (Radial Arm Saw). If you really have a bought a RSA I've no idea what you've got - you are on your own, mate :)
Whether you use a TS, BS or RAS, they all have their strengths in the workshop, and all can hurt you if you use them incorrectly. The BS is the most benign, but having said that, and owned all three, the BS is the only one on which I've ever cut my fingers!
Learn how to use them, put a good blade on all of them (TuffSaws for the BS, Cutting Solutions for the TS and RAS), learn how to use them and Enjoy!
S

Hahaha, yep, RAS, sorry!
Thanks for the blade tips :)
Suppose it comes down to room in my single garage, and which one's the most versatile (for my anticipated needs) to invest time (to understand thouroughly) and space (for ancilliary tables).
Perhaps you're right though, it's too early to tell, get the equipped blades swapped out, and start by ripping something easy with TS rather than contemplating crosscut of knotty Redwood at max depth of cut, that was easily done accurately with a handsaw...

Ah, space. The Final Frontier. Yes, a single garage is limiting. I had a double and that was bad enough. My next workshop will be the size of an aircraft hangar! :)
In your case, I'd stick with a medium-sized bandsaw and the TS. Any crosscutting can be done on the TS. And unless you are using thick stock, you can probably even get away with using the same blade for both operations (ripping and crosscutting).
S

Steve Maskery":248u9dmj said:
Ah, space. The Final Frontier. Yes, a single garage is limiting. I had a double and that was bad enough. My next workshop will be the size of an aircraft hangar! :)
In your case, I'd stick with a medium-sized bandsaw and the TS. Any crosscutting can be done on the TS. And unless you are using thick stock, you can probably even get away with using the same blade for both operations (ripping and crosscutting).
S

That's some serious showing off! Can't see the area increasing in the near future as the Mrs patrols the perimeter unfortunately ;)

I would keep all, imo. The RAS can save a hughe amount of time if you have lots of tennons to do. I have all three and use each to their own strengths. I.e. TS for ripping, RAS for cross cutting and the BS for fine and curved work. As everone else have pointed out, get decent blades and learn their strengths and weakness's and enjoy thier power but weary of their danger.

Happy crimbo :)

As everyone has said it would be silly to sell any of them, all three have specific good points and frankly there's not much you couldn't make with that lot. The table saw is an essential piece of kit in my opinion and if you are a bit unsure how about a quick one day trainning course :?:

Dodge on here does some good 'one to one' courses 'tho he is (unfortunately) on the other side of the country to you. Perhaps you could persuade SWMBO to take next years holiday on the Norfolk Broads :lol:

phil.p":ew7iqoil said:
Does anyone manufacture R.A.S.'s any more? I haven't heard about anything new for lots of years.

Sure, DeWalt still make them. We just bought one for the scenery workshop where I work. Not cheap, I think ours was about £2.5k, but the craft services guys love them.

I have all three and wouldn't be with out any of them, as has been said each is very good for different things. So if you can I'd keep all of them.

Another vote for keeping them all; it's taken most of us a good proportion of a lifetime to accumulate such good stuff.

As for the trepidation, it's probably a good starting point not to be too cocky. Especially round RASs and to a lesser extent, table saws. But also not a good idea to be too tentative - you have to be in charge. Bandsaws, as Steve M. says, are generally fairly benign beasts, so maybe try a few simple cuts with that first of all to get the feel of machine working and to build up your confidence.

If you can find a UKW member nearby (there seem to be quite a few around mid-Wales/Hereford) try and arrange to meet up and talk, maybe even ask if they could have a look at your machines to make sure none is set up in a dangerous way, which should be obvious to a regular user. Buy one of Steve M's excellent videos - full of good advice and a lot cheaper than throwing away potentially invaluable machines.

But most of all, ENJOY.

I think we would all keep all of them if we could. I was suggesting ditching the RAS only because of space limitations. A single garage is not ideal for a fully equipped woodwork shop.
Dick, thank you very much for the endorsement! Much appreciated.

S

Thanks guys :)
Yea, I probably need to hang out where there's one in use by someone who engages in safe practices, and do a bit of donkey work in exchange. If I was to change my mind after selling, it would cost a bit to procure kit in this condition as well...

Presumably, I'll need a hardwood rip blade for the TS, and a cross-cut blade for the RAS (when ready to set up). The TS has 250mm x 30mm on it, 1.1KW IP40, and has no=2950/min -1, so which blade should I order from the Cutting Solutions catalogue please? (-and why, if you have time thanks)
Cheers
Nick

You'll need a 250mm dia blade with 30mm bore. As it's for ripcuts - fewer teeth is better. Not sure what Doug at CS has in his catalogue, but he's very helpful so give him a call and ask him to recommend one.

SurreyHills":3pxkhno6 said:
You'll need a 250mm dia blade with 30mm bore. As it's for ripcuts - fewer teeth is better. Not sure what Doug at CS has in his catalogue, but he's very helpful so give him a call and ask him to recommend one.

Thanks Andy, I'll see whether he's around tomorrow :)

Nick
Sorry Christmas caught up with me.

With the rip blade it will still depend on the type of material and thickness you would be cutting.
If its very thick and hard material fewest teeth possible. I have one with 18 available from stock.

If its going to be general softwoods up to 50 mm thick you will get away with 24 teeth, again avalaible from stock.

the 2950 min you refer to is the spindle speed, which seems a bit slow.
both the blades are capable of running up to 7500.
Doug

cutting solutions":re3h4ecn said:
Nick
Sorry Christmas caught up with me.

With the rip blade it will still depend on the type of material and thickness you would be cutting.
If its very thick and hard material fewest teeth possible. I have one with 18 available from stock.

If its going to be general softwoods up to 50 mm thick you will get away with 24 teeth, again avalaible from stock.

the 2950 min you refer to is the spindle speed, which seems a bit slow.
both the blades are capable of running up to 7500.
Doug

What a slacker, hahaha ;)
Sorry, caught up in the same, thanks for the advice, I'll phone you soon :)
Cheers
Nick

Back