Record-Marples 04 1/2 hybrid hand plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo614

Established Member
Reaction score
The boot sales are back on :) and I picked this rusty battered object up for 50p today :).

This will be my second attempt hand-plane restoration or as I prefer "making something usable again" The first one (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/stanley-bailey-no-4-to-far-gone-t99168.html?hilit= stanley) was acceptable but no masterpiece.

I will have to seek out a replacement Record lever cap iron but first I thik it is out with the trusty vinegar to see if the blade & backing iron can be made to look good. The scratches on the sole are not deep but I'm a liitle concerned why just one corner is rusty. Once again the main handle is broken in two.

Timbo

Attachments

• Record-Marples02.JPG
    Record-Marples02.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 786
  • Record-Marples01.JPG
    Record-Marples01.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 787
  • Record-Marples03.JPG
    Record-Marples03.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 787
Rub the rust off the base with sandpaper/emery cloth, sharpen blade, rub sole with a bit of candle wax. Away you go!

Bod

Congrats on your find! 50p for that is a stonking bargain.

timbo614":9nuczimy said:
The scratches on the sole are not deep but I'm a liitle concerned why just one corner is rusty.
That's possibly just from how it was placed on a surface rather than indicating a low corner. But if it is low it still shouldn't be a problem.

By the way even if the scratches were very deep (too deep to consider lapping them out) they too are not something you need worry about. Scratches almost never affect use and if they do happen to have a slight raised edge one light sanding will get rid of that.

I find that WD40 and wire wool is effective in removing rust.The bonus is that any excess helps to free up the moving parts.

Back