Record BS400 vs Axminster SBW4300B Bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to upgrade my bandsaw, primarily as I want to resaw hardwoods around the 220cm mark perhaps a bit more in future. My current bandsaw is now in quite poor condition and keeps needing quite costly replacement parts.

Looking at these two bandsaws they seems very similar in size, capacity, shape and weight. Axminster is £330 more in cost + would need a 16amp installation.

My main concern is being able to resaw accurately, speed isn't especially important and finish quality isn't that important either. As far as I can see the beam strength of the saws should be similar given their almost equal weight and shape. The Axminster blade is 2" shorter which presumably makes it a little easier to tension.

Another difference is axminster uses bearing blade guides, record has some type of stationary guide, though they state they believe these are actually superior to bearing type. The cast iron wheels of the record seem a bit more substantial than on the axminster.

So does anyone have any thoughts on making a choice between the two?
Thanks

Yes i've read that. At the moment I think i'm leaning towards the bs400, previously thought the axminster might be better. Perhaps it is but it doesn't seem to be significantly so.

My own BS400 is very good and I feel sure you would not be dissapointed if you bought one. However, if you buy when a sale is on, say at Yandles (offers still on for some items this week) then you will not only get a discount, but also free delivery. Usually saves over £100.

What are of the UK are you in? If you change your profile for more acurate location than UK, you may get more help from members in your area.

Good luck

I Had the Hammer N4400 in the list as well and chose the BS400 as it is powerful enough for what I want and mostly because it runs of a 13 amp plug and I did not fancy another re wire. It has plenty of power and will re saw no problem especially with one of Ian's blades. There is one other difference in favour of the Axi the dust extraction on the Record is 4" at the bottom and near the table is a 1" flexi pipe whereas on the Axi there is a second 4" pipe. I do not know how effective it is but Axi say you need a large dust extractor to cope with both ports.

cast iron fence assembly and cast iron band wheels were what swung it for me. All contribute to the solutions to blade drift. I also like the peace of mind of an extra 2 years guarantee. The 13 amp was a real plus because like you I didn't want to bother with 16Amp specials. So it was (to me) clearly the better saw on all rational criteria and it was £300 cheaper!!!! Where I come from...that's called a no-brainer :)

Thanks for the help.

Looks like i'll most likely be going with the BS400 and saving the rewire is another bonus.

If it's of any use i'm in Buckinghamshire/Berkshire/Oxford Border

Back