Record #045C Plough plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

On Sunday I went to my local car-boot and picked up a Record #045c plough plane without any cutters for a fiver.

1/ Was it worth it without any blades?
2/ Does anyone know where I can obtain the blades?

I have done a search on Google. The only find was £48 Quid for two sets. (CS045A, CS045B).

Thanks for listening, and I would appreciate any help.

ATB Gary.

It might well be cheaper to look out for a complete one on Ebay. I think these come up quite often, eg. this No.44 plough, you just have to be patient and don't overbid (just like any auction, I suppose).

edit. is the #45 a combination plane with different profile cutters?

Well, Gary, my info is telling me the bare 045c only came with one 4mm cutter anyway. But I wouldn't hold out much hope of those cutter sets still being available in the real world (assuming our googling found the same thing :) ), and you'd need the K050c conversion kit to use anything but the basic straight cutters it seems. Generally speaking this is why standard advice is to buy complete, or largely complete combination planes, 'cos finding the correct cutters often works out more expensive than buying a whole one in the first place :( If you fancied a bit of a play with some tool steel you could make some yourself of course and then you'd be laughing. Sorry it's not better news.

Cheers, Alf

George_N":2iryvvpa said:
A good example of what to avoid, I fear. Missing a fence thumb screw at least, not to mention the other 7 cutters. In fact the cutter that is there is either sharpened to unuseability or else broken. Factor in £28 for a set from Ray Iles, except don't 'cos of that thumb screw. :(

Cheers, Alf

Hi Gary,

I purchased my first #45 without cutters too. Great mistake. I had to buy a second one to have the cutters.

But maybe... if... ask Mike of www.classichandtools.com sometimes he has cutters, even sets ...

And there was a thread at Woodcentral, where I asked for compatability of the different brands, Clifton, Record and Stanley, if I remember well, but I can't find it anymore. :cry:

Regards, Marc

#45's seem to go fairly cheaply. My record cost me around £30 and came complete (nicker missing though) with all cutters - worth buying complete when one looks at the cost of those cutters :shock:

Hi all, sorry for the delay, still decorating.

George.
Thanks for your reply. I always forget to look on EBay, good idea and sound advice.

Alf.
Thanks for your reply. I like the idea of making my own cutters and other tools (chisels, plane irons and gouges etc). I was going to have a go last year, but decorating the house was, and is a higher priority, (according to my wife). I still have a broken leg.

Mark.
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out in a mo.

Thanks for your input Tony. I really thought I was on to a winner this time. O well, we must carry on and do our best.

Thank you everyone.
ATB Gary.

garywayne":3a4n3r5x said:
decorating the house was, and is a higher priority, (according to my wife). I still have a broken leg.

:shock: Is that what you got when you said to her "Sod the decorating" :shock:

Paul

Hi.

Just a quick update.

Went to the car-boot again. This time there was a Record #044c with a set of ten cutters going for £12. I bought it for £10. (Unused).

I would like to thank you all again for your help and advice.

ATB Gary.

garywayne":25tzaw1x said:
Hi.

Just a quick update.

Went to the car-boot again. This time there was a Record #044c with a set of ten cutters going for £12. I bought it for £10. (Unused).

This boy's a fast learner =D> =D> =D>

BugBear

Latest posts

Back