Recommendations for a reasonably priced machine/drill press vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavlar

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I'm looking for a drill press vice for general wood and metalwork, and the variety is bewildering...any ideas please? Budget up to 50 quid.

criteria:
  • up to 150mm opening, ideally
  • no need for rotation as my drill table does that
  • slotted base
  • v slots both vertical and horizontal
any votes based on user experience would be great, thank you
Gavin

150mm opening is pretty big I would say. Mostly chinesium tat in that size and price bracket. A nippy style vice is great for general use, can normally be had for around £30 if you watch ebay carefully. For the 6" opening, either buy a chinese one and put up with how bad it is or wait for a used rack vice or machine vice to come along. It'll probably cost more than £50 though.

I have found that all products from Soba (an Indian company) have been excellent, I have 3 of their drill press vices.

The best I have is this one, which fits your budget:
Soba 100 mm Precision Drilling Vice | Chronos Engineering Supplies

The 6” version is more expensive, but will weigh much more:
https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/soba-150-mm-precision-drilling-vice/
This and other models are available from Chronos, RDG Tools, and Axminster (Soba is one of the brands Axi have repainted and badged as their engineer range.

Do you have a T-slotted table? If so an infinite/two-part vise might be the answer.

No, my circular table's just got six standard slots in a radial arrangement. I ordered the Soba 4" vice recommended above. It arrived next day, but wouldn't fully open, so Chronos sent another, also arrived next day plus arranged collection of the first one. Very impressed with them, and the vice is great too.

Latest posts

Back